Sign in with
Your question

Failing sli 560 ti? possible upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2012 5:27:24 AM

Current set up:
2x msi twin frozr 2 560ti
corsair enthusiast 750w

System is about a year and a half old now. been doing minor oc without any problems until two weeks ago.
at times, when not under load, the temps would spike a little and the fans would get louder for a few minutes and drop back down.
and recently, on games where I would usually get 60 fps, it would drop down to 10-20 fps and stay there till I restart the system. Switching off sli does not help (when the drop happens and I do not restart). however, I dont get any artifacts in game when the frames do drop.

It couldn't possibly be the psu's fault right?
would it be the graphics card problem? If it is, what would be a good single card to upgrade to from this build and if there are single card that can match or beat the performance of these 2 cards?

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 6:00:48 AM

Swap the cards (top one to the bottom and bottom to the top) and see if that fixes anything. And while you're at it do a clean driver install.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 8:59:13 AM

Download MSI afterburner and check graphics clocks. They might be out of order.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 4:26:45 PM

trapper said:
Swap the cards (top one to the bottom and bottom to the top) and see if that fixes anything. And while you're at it do a clean driver install.

I think I've been mixing them up every time I take them out to clean every month and I have been electing to do a clean install via the nvidia update option when there is a new driver.
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:36:57 PM

Sunius said:
Download MSI afterburner and check graphics clocks. They might be out of order.

Should they be in sync in the first place?

from the sli faq:
"Well it "was" like ATI with older drivers, but with new drivers its quite different.If you use 2(or more) Nvidia cards with different clock speeds in SLI mode,none of them will change their clocks and they will perform at their default clock speed."

but since this was mentioned. These two are card are the same model from the same manufacturer but I don't know why one of them would have a different stock voltage than the other.
One card would have 975 and the other 1012 both running 880 core clock. If I try to sync the settings across the cards in afterburner, the card with 975 can get up to 930 core clock without touching the voltage but the 1012 (I assume the voltage is synced too) cannot keep this oc and games hang and my speakers would buzz(and hum?) until I restart which I suppose is common if oc fails.
m
l
!