Sign in with
Your question

New to building (making a gaming pc) what do you think?

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2012 1:37:14 AM

Hey everyone!

Im new to toms hardware and forums in general. Please have patience with me if I do anything wrong. I guess I've been wanting to build a gaming pc for quite some time now, but its always appeared to be overwhelming and I've been afraid to try. Just recently (about 2 weeks) I started to research how to build a comp as well as the components I need for a gaming. I need to see what can be improved or anything I should know before I pull the trigger and drop $2000. This is what I have so far..

case- nzxt tempest 410 elite black
cpu-i5-3570k
mobo-asus sabertooth z77
memory- corsair vengeance 8gb(2x4gb)
gpu- gigabyte geforce gtx 680 :bounce: 
cooling- CM hyper 212 evo
ssd- samsung 128gb 830 series
hdd- wd 1tb caviar green
power- corsair tx750
optical-lg bluray dvd combo

(if interested)
monitor - asus 27" led
keyboard - razer black widow ultimate
mouse - logictech g9x
OS- windows 7 (i saw windows 8, looks lame as hell..)

I'd like to know what everyone thinks about the set up. Will all these parts run smoothly together? Should I make changes? Any thing I should be aware of? I'm still new to all of this and I really need help. :wahoo: 

p.s. I plan on playing games like bf3, crysis 2+3, any crazy amazing games when they come out. I want to make my eyes do this :ouch: 

More about : building making gaming

September 24, 2012 2:59:54 AM

That seems really nice! I am new too, but I don't know too much about the case, but it seems fine. The CPU is great, and you can't go wrong with a Z77. I am a bit partial towards ASROCK, but ASUS makes excellent MOBO also. 8GB of RAM is enough for a long time. That GPU looks like it will work well. Also, most Hyper Evos come partially unassembled so you need to screw a few things in. The fan will most likely come without a preapplied layer of thermal paste so you'll need to get some. SSD checks out. 1TB of HDD is good as well. 750W is good as a PSU. Can't find anything wrong with the optical drive. A 27" monitor will melt your brains (especially if it is HD). I only have a 24" HD Asus and it is amazing. Keyboard, mouse, and OS are basically your personal preferences so if you want those than go ahead. Overall BF3 and Crysis 2/3 will work great on the new PC! Happy building!
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2012 3:13:57 AM

lol get this instead. i will explain

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/imFC

1: my 670 can overclock and perform the same as the 680 for 100 dollars less. i chose the best 670 out there which is the msi power edition. only card with overvolting support (provides more power=usually more overclock but be careful and dont fry your card by adding too many volts)
2:my nh-d14 beats the hyper 212 in nearly everything
3:sabertooth is a ripoff. the plastic shroud will most likely trap heat, increasing overall operating temps. the v-pro is the same for a lot cheaper
4:just made sure the ram was low profile
5:the vertex 4 is cheaper and performs better
6:i prefer seagates given they are cheaper and perform better
7:the xfx xxx 750w is modular, more efficent, and about the same price if not cheaper than the tx750w. both are made by seasonic
8:o DDs are dying out. i dont see the point of a blu-ray drive unless you watch movies that are blu-ray
9:i got the pa238q monitor instead. fully adjustable, IPS, and calibrated for better image quality. i rather trade speed for image quality
10:blackwidow ultimate lacks in build quality. i suggest the corsair k60 keyboard instead. if you want backlightling, the k90 will do that for 90 bucks. red switches are also great for games
11:mouse is personal preference. i like the deathadder black edition
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2012 3:14:21 AM

hope this doesnt sound too harsh but i basically threw your build out the window
September 24, 2012 3:27:50 AM

That's quite a setup you've got there. I don't think I would spend that much on some of the parts myself(almost all the parts, actually) but that setup
will run games very well at 1080p or 1920x1200(whichever is the res of your led lcd). I would go with a less expensive case like the antec 900 two, but
that's me(HAF 912 is pretty good, too). I'd go with a i5 2500k and a cheaper z68 mobo like an msi for around 82.50 or so. The main reason you get
an nvidia card over a radeon is for physx(also lower power consumption in some cases), but you could get a custom cooled hd7970(non ghz ed.) under
400, overclock it yourself past both gtx680 and 7970ghz ed. levels and get a cheap gt610 to go with for physx. Right now the 212evo costs a lot more
than 212+ for not much more cooling ability(I know you said you are new, but an intel k processor and all 28nm GPUs beg to be overclocked). You might
be able to get another good 120-128GB ssd for cheaper than a samsung 830. The hdd is pretty good. I don't know if the optical you listed is just a dvd
burner/blu-ray player combo or a blu-ray burner, but if you want to drop 2000 on a pc you should have a blu-ray burner. The media is dropping in price
to the point where cost per GB is the same or lower than dvd, they burn at higher data rates and take up less space to store after you've backed up data.

The monitor looks ok, but you might want the tighter pixel pitch of a monitor a few inches smaller with the same res. I wouldn't spend so much on a mouse
or keyboard, but again that is me. Window 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit oem is definitely the way to go for most folks(I agree windows 8 looks lame. The
only reason to get it is if you have an amd fx cpu that will see a sizable boost with the new os). If you stay with the asus sabertooth, make sure the corsair
ram you want to buy is on the asus QVL or you may have problems when you first boot the new system. If you are in the US, Canada, Australia, New
Zealand, UK, Germany or France, pcpartpicker.com is a good site to help you assemble components at the lowest prices. If you live in India there's flipcart,
theitdepot and mdcomputers for sites with decent prices on parts. Oh, if you cut back elsewhere you could get a Fractal Design Define R4 case. Also, you
don't need that powerful a psu. Sticking with one powerful gpu is better than getting 2 for broader game support and less chance of micro stuttering. I know
you only specced one gpu, but that psu is either overkill or a prelude to sli/crossfire. Again, asus's sabertooth page for ram support if you go that route.

I might say that if you don't care to oc you can get a non k i5, cheaper mobo, hd7970ghz ed. and either a pci or pcie budget geforce.

I also need to say that crytek(makers of Far Cry 1 and the Crysis games) has said that "Crysis 3 will melt your PC". If it's anything like Far Cry 1 and
Crysis 1, it may be years before a rig can max that game with a playable frame rate at around 1080p. BF3 will run very well on your res monitor with
a lesser gpu, and crysis 2 is a relative lightweight(as long as you turn down tessellation. Why they chose to "enhance" flat street barriers to a ridiculous
level is beyond me. That tech could have been used to much greater effect in that game without such a major performance hit). Now Metro, that game
has yet to be truly maxed by any setup if I'm not mistaken(uses physx, but I don't know what impact is has on the gameplay experience. It has a
rather large and detrimental impact on frame rate, though. That's about all I can think of for now. I hope you found some of what I wrote useful.

Edit: forgot low profile ram. You don't want tall heat spreaders that may get in the way of fans on an air cooler like the hyper 212.

Looking at The Big Troll's suggestions, I would get a cheaper cpu and mobo, spend less on a hyper 212 vs the noctua(great cooler, though), the 2GB vram on a
gtx670 may become a limitation vs the 3GB on a hd7970, the psu is overkill, the optical is under-kill, and the keyboard is likely overkill. No mouse, either.

Edit: I guess a mouse was suggested, but it is a personal thing. Same for keyboard(I think overkill for playing FPSs). If you get a TN panel, you may sacrifice a
little color precision and viewing angles vs IPS( bigger deal if you are into photo editing or graphic design and won't be looking at your monitor straight on), but
you gain responsiveness for fps games and virtually(if not totally) eliminate ghosting. If you go 120hz, you can do 3d with nvidia(still buggy, not ready for prime
time just yet). TN panels are generally notably cheaper than IPS panels as well.

September 26, 2012 3:47:19 PM

jtenorj said:
That's quite a setup you've got there. I don't think I would spend that much on some of the parts myself(almost all the parts, actually) but that setup
will run games very well at 1080p or 1920x1200(whichever is the res of your led lcd). I would go with a less expensive case like the antec 900 two, but
that's me(HAF 912 is pretty good, too). I'd go with a i5 2500k and a cheaper z68 mobo like an msi for around 82.50 or so. The main reason you get
an nvidia card over a radeon is for physx(also lower power consumption in some cases), but you could get a custom cooled hd7970(non ghz ed.) under
400, overclock it yourself past both gtx680 and 7970ghz ed. levels and get a cheap gt610 to go with for physx. Right now the 212evo costs a lot more
than 212+ for not much more cooling ability(I know you said you are new, but an intel k processor and all 28nm GPUs beg to be overclocked). You might
be able to get another good 120-128GB ssd for cheaper than a samsung 830. The hdd is pretty good. I don't know if the optical you listed is just a dvd
burner/blu-ray player combo or a blu-ray burner, but if you want to drop 2000 on a pc you should have a blu-ray burner. The media is dropping in price
to the point where cost per GB is the same or lower than dvd, they burn at higher data rates and take up less space to store after you've backed up data.

The monitor looks ok, but you might want the tighter pixel pitch of a monitor a few inches smaller with the same res. I wouldn't spend so much on a mouse
or keyboard, but again that is me. Window 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit oem is definitely the way to go for most folks(I agree windows 8 looks lame. The
only reason to get it is if you have an amd fx cpu that will see a sizable boost with the new os). If you stay with the asus sabertooth, make sure the corsair
ram you want to buy is on the asus QVL or you may have problems when you first boot the new system. If you are in the US, Canada, Australia, New
Zealand, UK, Germany or France, pcpartpicker.com is a good site to help you assemble components at the lowest prices. If you live in India there's flipcart,
theitdepot and mdcomputers for sites with decent prices on parts. Oh, if you cut back elsewhere you could get a Fractal Design Define R4 case. Also, you
don't need that powerful a psu. Sticking with one powerful gpu is better than getting 2 for broader game support and less chance of micro stuttering. I know
you only specced one gpu, but that psu is either overkill or a prelude to sli/crossfire. Again, asus's sabertooth page for ram support if you go that route.

I might say that if you don't care to oc you can get a non k i5, cheaper mobo, hd7970ghz ed. and either a pci or pcie budget geforce.

I also need to say that crytek(makers of Far Cry 1 and the Crysis games) has said that "Crysis 3 will melt your PC". If it's anything like Far Cry 1 and
Crysis 1, it may be years before a rig can max that game with a playable frame rate at around 1080p. BF3 will run very well on your res monitor with
a lesser gpu, and crysis 2 is a relative lightweight(as long as you turn down tessellation. Why they chose to "enhance" flat street barriers to a ridiculous
level is beyond me. That tech could have been used to much greater effect in that game without such a major performance hit). Now Metro, that game
has yet to be truly maxed by any setup if I'm not mistaken(uses physx, but I don't know what impact is has on the gameplay experience. It has a
rather large and detrimental impact on frame rate, though. That's about all I can think of for now. I hope you found some of what I wrote useful.

Edit: forgot low profile ram. You don't want tall heat spreaders that may get in the way of fans on an air cooler like the hyper 212.

Looking at The Big Troll's suggestions, I would get a cheaper cpu and mobo, spend less on a hyper 212 vs the noctua(great cooler, though), the 2GB vram on a
gtx670 may become a limitation vs the 3GB on a hd7970, the psu is overkill, the optical is under-kill, and the keyboard is likely overkill. No mouse, either.

Edit: I guess a mouse was suggested, but it is a personal thing. Same for keyboard(I think overkill for playing FPSs). If you get a TN panel, you may sacrifice a
little color precision and viewing angles vs IPS( bigger deal if you are into photo editing or graphic design and won't be looking at your monitor straight on), but
you gain responsiveness for fps games and virtually(if not totally) eliminate ghosting. If you go 120hz, you can do 3d with nvidia(still buggy, not ready for prime
time just yet). TN panels are generally notably cheaper than IPS panels as well.

how does this look? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ixLt

I did consider the i5-2500k and a gb ga-z68xp-ud3p, but it will cost no more than 50 dollars for the mobo and cpu i chose. tell me what else I could do? also, is a audio card a good idea if i plan on getting a head set and a set of speakers? I wanted to pick a load out that'd last a couple of years, and I plan on oc the system.
September 26, 2012 3:48:21 PM

TheBigTroll said:
hope this doesnt sound too harsh but i basically threw your build out the window

what do you think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ixLt

be as harsh as you want. I wont learn *** from people who sugar coat. So being harsh is appreciated.
September 26, 2012 3:58:56 PM

This PSU is better and cheaper

XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver

Do you really need a sound card? Most people just use onboard sound.

Edit: I don't know anything about the case you've selected but you might want to consider this case that Newegg has a good deal on right now.

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $55 after $20 rebate.

I have the original version of the 690 and it's worked well for me.
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 5:06:41 PM

VendettaCloud said:
what do you think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ixLt

be as harsh as you want. I wont learn *** from people who sugar coat. So being harsh is appreciated.

1: id rather get a faster 7200rpm drive over a greeen drive
2: id stick to the case i originally recommended
3: you dont need a sound card. if you want one for a good set of headphones, id suggest the asus dx
4: the xfx xxx 750 is recommended. 650w might be cutting it for a dual gpu setup in the future
5: the pa238q is a better monitor
6: coolermaster has a quickfire pro for 59.99 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

September 26, 2012 9:24:02 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($387.86 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($45.68 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHBS212-08 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($117.11 @ CompUSA)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($129.98 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.27 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1521.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

When overclocking ie with turbo out of the picture, Sandy is as fast as ivy clock for clock and can go higher without the internal limits ivy has.

This inexpensive but effective cooler will let you push this cpu quite a ways.

No need to spend a ton for a decent, feature rich mobo that can push your cpu. Read user reviews at newegg to see how this board stacks up.

Low profile ram that runs nice and cool at 1333. Ready to partner with ivy should you choose to drop her in later.

Speed's unimportant when streaming pics, music and video; but less spin up and spin down is better for drive wear. Get the latest firmware from seagate.

Your profile says Chicago and there's 1 or 2 microcenters near you, so this ssd will work out fine. You pay for taxes and the cost of gas, but that's it.

Overclock this 3GB card past 7970ghz ed. and gtx680 to play at 3x 1920x1200(or be good at 1080p for a while). Physx becomes less relevant every day.

If you're an audiophile with decent speakers, spend a few bucks more on a card with front panel controls. If you don't care, use mobo audio instead.

This case has some features that more expensive ones don't. I suggest rearranging the fans and/or tossing in a few more(they can have leds if u want).

This psu is seasonic built, tested to provide more clean power than its rated for at higher than ambient temps, and is more than enough for an OCed
Sandy i5 and an OCed 7970. Has a long life ball bearing fan(vs shorter lived sleeve bearings) and a 5yr warranty. Hasn't caught fire like the 750w model.

Blu-ray burner with all the software and cables you need to get going from the start. Also, mobo only has 2 sata cables(1 for ssd, 1 for hdd).

1080p, good pixel density, fast response, built in speakers(via hdmi), vga and dvi too like your 24in pick, led backlit(better contrast, lower power, lighter
weight and smaller size so it's easier to haul to a lan party). Should have mentioned this above, but the smaller size and simple style of the antec 302
also let you haul it around easier and mod it more easily if you want to.

Is any os better for serious gaming right now than microsoft windows 7 home premium sp1 64bit oem?

Input devices are pretty personal, but after researching your picks they look better for your usage than cheaper parts.

This sandy/z68 build shaved quite a bit off of your ivy/z77 build, but you lose nothing in performance or features(besides the ability to run a couple
video cards in eyefinity/equivalent with the best bandwidth). I currently recommend against both multi gpu setups and multi monitor setups 4 gaming.

You've even gained some performance and features here and there.
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 11:57:05 PM

ivy performs a bit more than 5% clock for clock. not to mention the fact that i hit 4.5ghz with 1.15v @60c full load doesnt prove the point of ivy not overclocking well
September 27, 2012 2:58:44 AM

Can't 2500k go to 4.3-4.4 on stock volts and up to like 4.8 with a little more juice?
a b 4 Gaming
September 27, 2012 3:30:05 AM

the i5 2500k can do 4.2ghz for most chips on stock voltage

mine was a i7 3770k, the hottest ivy bridge of all (or so they say)
!