Installed new gpu and its overheating the cpu

4Iucky

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hello everyone, I finally did my first build about a year ago nothing extremely fancy just something to get me started. A few days ago I decided it was time to upgrade my gpu (gt520) to a gigabyte gtx 660OC. The problem is after installing it my Core went from average about 25/26C idle to around 34C idle not a big deal right but as soon as I put a load on my system the core runs at almost 60C. Looking around on the web sounds like I'm reaching the higher end of what I would want my core to run at, am I right? I have 3 fans running one in front, one in back and one blowing from the top of the case. I think that the problem is my stock heat-sink/fan just isn't dissipating the heat well enough. So my questions are is my cpu getting to hot or am I being paranoid, and I would like to replace my heat-sink/fan what would my best option be with my build something in the $50 range or so.

Build
Windows 8
AMD FX 8120 Eight Core Stock cooler
Asus M5A97 Mobo
32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3
Gigabyte GTX 660OC 2GB
Seasonic 650W

check to make sure your mb has the newest bios updates. with windows 8 and newer nvidia cards there have been some bug fixes and issues. the small temp rise check your mb and gpu power settings. may be an issue that the new gpu not letting the cpu idle down. the max temp of 60c is not bad for that cpu as it higher wattage then an intel cpu. if the cpu temp was 70-80c then i would wonder if i losened up the cpu cooler or have an issue.

4Iucky

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just did the new install of Windows 8 (a week ago) and flashed the mobo with the new bios same with my gpu. I have speedfan up to control my temp cause without it asus fan controls would let it get to 70-80C so my cpu fan is basically running at full speed all the time just to keep up. I also checked to see if I had knocked the heat sink loose but it was how it should be.

if you put the old video card back does the system work fine?? the issue if the cpu cooler is fine and the system runs fine with the older card..then you may be looking at a power issue. where the new video card is pulling more power then the ps can output and is showing up as a glitch. myself i would pick up some thermal paste and reset the cpu cooler issue to rule it out.

4Iucky

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Yes putting the old card back in solves the heat issue, however I upgraded my psu from 450w to 650w to compensate for the new gpu power demands. Even at the highest calculation's for power demands for my system I still am almost 100w more than I need with my new psu.

it not the wattage of the ps you have to look at it the 12v line max output in wattage and amps and if there one or two 12v lines. also the cpu and hard drives are on that rail too. want look at is the max voltage of both cards plus the cpu.
try using hardware monitor and see what the ps 12v line is doing.

4Iucky

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Hmm thats where I'm lost on that part I have 8pin 12v (2x4pin) plugged into the mobo. The gpu itself requires an additional 6pin 12v which I have coming directly form the psu into the gpu itself. Is what I have done wrong? Sorry, I'm not the clearest when it comes to the power part of computers lol.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
download msi afterburner, and set up a more aggressive fan profile

http://www.majorgeeks.com/MSI_Afterburner_d6254.html

if that doesnt work you can always get a stronger case fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998+600035655&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=573&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

tenshin111

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
What about your case? How big is it? How good is the airflow inside?

I think all the suggestions above are really missing the most fundamental question - is the inside of your case spacious enough to provide decent cooling for your nvidia card. It is quite a big jump from gt520 to gt660 in terms of heat generation. I had the same issues when I switched from onboard VGA to nvidia 9800gt back in the old days. The only sensible solution was to go for a more spacious case.

tenshin111

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008

No there are aren't. In a cramped case there is no space(!) to put them, just try yourself. Unless your definition of 'cramped' is very liberal. Also, if you managed to squeeze such a fan or two your PC would sound like a vacuum cleaner. I did it in the past and I know the pain ;)

tenshin111

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
The bottom line is - this is not the problem of power supply. To OP went from a simple vga that generates virtually no heat to a little toaster and the increase in temps is kind of expected in this case.

4Iucky

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Ok guys thank you for all your responses. As for my case size its a mid-large case, I'm running 3 fans one in front one out the back and one from the top, all 3 are pushing 51cfm so they say lol. As for being cramped inside its less cramped in my case than a stock PC by far. However the new gpu is dumping all its heat inside the case. If I were to get a new cpu cooler what would be your suggestions for my build, and if my fans need to be upgraded or more added advise please thank you.