Specs:

asrock z68 fatal1ty gen 3
Corsair Gold AX1200
i7-2600K
8GB Ram
EVGA SC GTX 670 4GB SLI (2 days old)
OCZ MI 128GB
Win7 64

If I run BF for 20mins even at 1920 X 1080 I'll get the following memory error.

I'm hoping someone can please help me, I'm tearing my hair out since installing my new GPUs.

DirectX Error

directx function "device-> createtexture2d (&texDesc,desc.subResourceCount !=0 ? reinterpret_case <const D3DD_SUBRESOURCE_DATA*> (desc.subResourceData) : 0, &texture-> n_texture2d)" failed with E_OUTOFMEMORY: Ran out of memory. GPU: "NVIDIA GeForece GTX 670", Driver: 30142. Free virtual memory 1887168kB / 4194176kB. Total resource memory: 0kB. Make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 512 MB.

Microsoft Windows

Clost programs to prevent information loss

Your Computer is low on memory. Save files and close these programs:

Battlefield 3

First of all I recommend installing a fresh copy of Win7 with 1 card only, make sure everything is updated to the latest drivers, make sure you install all the necessary Win updates.

Install GPU-Z to check info about the GTX 670, see if everything seems to be fine.

Install BF3, run it with the single GTX 670.

If everything works fine, install the 2nd GPU and enable SLI and see what happens.

List all your system specs including MOBO and PSU.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply,

I wouldn't be against doing this but feel this is little drastic without trying some small stuff first.

Since it appeared like a memory leak I've changed the bf3.exe compatibility settings by disabling visual themes and composition while the game is running.

Steps I took:

Find bf3.exe (origin games folder)
Right click, properties, compatibility tab
Tick the box that says "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Disable visual themes"
Tick run as admin (probably makes no odds)
Then apply changes

So far this has worked, I'll come back in a bit and update if I experience no more issues.

It's just a software/driver related issue, that's why I suggested doing a fresh install and ensure that everything is up to date, I know it's a pain for some users, me myself never re-install windows whatever a new hardware is plugged-in.

But to be free time and effort, a clean install would do the trick.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Don't get me wrong I completely agree with your motive and this would be one option that will most likely fix it while saving me time in the long run.

I just hate reinstalling everything ;) so will try a bunch of stuff before considering.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Ok, so that works out at about 4 hours since I made the change and have played many many rounds in BF3, so far the issue appears resolved.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I use EVGA precision X and have a frame rate target of 60, it tends to fluctuate very little, temps are around 50C with all settings at max.

If I disable the target then FPS sits around 125 and moves between 85 - 200 depending on how busy / quiet it is, admittedly 200 would be in a plane flying away from the action / heading off the map.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

It would appear that I need to do this with every game, Skyrim ran into the same issue and while the game did not crash out after I quit a memory message appeared.

I think tomorrow I will do a fresh install.

Open your Resource Monitor, click on the Memory tab, check how much memory is "Hardware Reserved" vs. "In Use" vs. "Standby".

On mine, I have over 4 GB Hardware Reserved, your 4 GB cards may be requiring almost all of your 8 GB memory to be Hardware Reserved.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Sitting in windows I have 2201 MB free with a standby of 2275 MB

I'm running out of paged Memory and then get the error, physical memory never exceeds 6GB.

vandist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

This is now fixed, a long time ago I turned off virtual memory since I had 8GB of RAM, SSD and a 560ti, now that I have 2 X 670s it would appear I do not have enough memory to support not having virtual memory enabled.

revro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
so what does this means? that if you have like 8gb ram and 2x2gb vram you must define big pagefile otherwise it blocks the system memory itself?
so if i want to buy 2x 7970 3GB and 8GB, i must create a large paging file for windows? and i planned to make a ram disk and throw 1gb paging file on it.
hmm sounds like 16GB ram here i come ...