Zoom Lens for Canon Rebel XT?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 29, 2005 7:57:48 PM

I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions on
a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
direction?

THANKS!
Don

More about : zoom lens canon rebel

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:32:08 PM

"Don" <none@isp.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
> shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions
> on
> a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM
Autofocus Lens ... about $439. However, these are currently out of stock at
B&H (Canon is making a new model, but at a higher cost). You might find one
elsewhere. This lens is a good buy for your price range.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:09:37 PM

"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
"Don" <none@isp.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
> shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions
> on
> a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

Don,

I have the 75-300, the 75-300 IS, and the 100-400 L IS. I'm not sure what
type of racing you shoot but I've done some NASCAR and IRL and for that I'd
highly recommend the 100-400 but its way outside your stated budget.

As already stated I think you'll have a hard time finding the 75-300 IS
because it's been replaced by the new 70-300 IS. Problem here is I believe
the list price for that lens is $600+ USD.

That leaves the 75-300 non IS and I'm afraid you may not be happy with the
performance.

--

Rob
Related resources

Charles Schuler wrote:

>>I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
>> shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions
>> on a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
>> direction?
>
>Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM
>Autofocus Lens ... about $439. However, these are currently out of stock at
>B&H (Canon is making a new model, but at a higher cost). You might find one
>elsewhere. This lens is a good buy for your price range.

Can you wait a couple of weeks, and save up another $200? You might be
interested in the brand new 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS that's replacing the
older 75-300 model.

The problem with the older 75-300 is the softness at the long 300mm end.

If the MTF charts are accurate, the new 70-300 lense is going to be a
very good consumer zoom, well worth the price increase, making the long
300mm end much more attractive and practical.
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:48:35 AM

"Don" <none@isp.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
> shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions
> on
> a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?
>
> THANKS!
> Don

I have a 70-200mm f2.8L, which is expensive and heavy. I don't know what the
f4 version costs in your country, but if you have the funds it's well worth
a look. Given my time again I would have probably bought the f4 rather than
the f2.8, the depth of field is very limited at f2.8 so I usually use f4.5
or greater.

John
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:12:37 AM

"Don" <none@isp.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55). I am mainly
> shooting cars at shows and the race track. I would like some suggestions
> on
> a lens with more zoom under $400. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?
>
> THANKS!
> Don

The low cost route is the EF 80-200 II f/4.5-5.6. It is around $120 and
delivers a better image quality than the 75-300 (see Canon's own MTF
charts). I normally find it hard to live with cheap zooms, but this one is
okay.
John
!