Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes with new video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2012 11:37:02 AM

I bought a "HIS IceQ H795Q3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card" and a "Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply" to attempt to upgrade my system for gaming. I first installed the power supply and tried it with the onboard video card (Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE), with no problem and still no problems. When I install my new video card, my PC freezes after about five to ten minutes after start up, whether in windows or BIOS, sometimes sooner than that. The screen, mouse, and keyboard are all unresponsive and everything on the screen stops moving but doesn't go black, just freezes in place. The monitor will show video out of the video card but will just eventually freeze. I don't even get a chance to install the drivers from the video card installation disk before it freezes. In device manager the video card just shows up as "Standard VGA adapter" under display adapters. I tried uninstalling the old onboard chip and wiping out any trace of the old driver. I tried setting the BIOS to use the PCI Express adapter first for video. The fan spins and it seems to be getting power. I found and installed the latest drivers for my bios. What steps should I take to make my video card work or am I just facing a compatibility problem with my motherboard or some other component?

Gateway GT5656
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+, 64-bit dual core processor @3.0 GHz
6GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 1:31:06 PM

Are you connecting the two 6-pin power connectors from the power supply to the graphics card?
m
l
August 4, 2012 2:09:06 PM

yeah I have those plugged in. Everything on the motherboards plugged in. I tried resetting the BIOS and it still freezes after about 3 minutes. It will stay on in safe mode but that's bout it. Can't even install the drivers in safe mode.
m
l
Related resources
a c 203 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 2:42:01 PM

it the video chipset of the mb that causing you and issue. newer mb are made to turn off the onboard video when a gpu is plugged in. some of the older mb like your have issues with other brand gpu..take the gpu back and pick up a nvidia card it should work fine in your system.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:19:18 PM

Ahh will do, thanks for the help
m
l
!