Problem with freezing. Need help.

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
So I recently have been having problems with my computer I built back in March. Just the other day I had the thought of OCing my CPU so I bought a new cooler and attached it...Now every time I boot up my computer freezes at random times. I have tried doing a variety of different things to fix it such as re-seat everything, boot with less peripherals, re install windows, run memory diagnostics, booted with individual sticks of RAM, put UEFI back to defaults, and that, I think is all.

At this point I just think it is a hardware issue...So I am going to buy a new piece of hardware and I am thinking that the cause of these problems is my RAM.

What other components could be to blame and what do you recommend i should replace.

Solution
There is a small possibility that thermal paste "may" have not been spread evenly enough or thin enough. Also, thermal paste needs adequate time to "cure" to provide the best thermal insulation. Also, maybe the new heatsink wasn't properly seated. Did you use Artic Silver?

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

what would make the new heat sink the problem? not that I dont believe you, I just never heard of that being an issue.

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
There is a small possibility that thermal paste "may" have not been spread evenly enough or thin enough. Also, thermal paste needs adequate time to "cure" to provide the best thermal insulation. Also, maybe the new heatsink wasn't properly seated. Did you use Artic Silver?

Solution

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

yeah arctic silver 5 on a cooler master hyper 212 plus