EDP

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Hi!

I have an Radeon HD 5770 GPU (Asus EAH5770 CUCore/2DI/1GD5). I want to connect it to my Samsung LE32A756R1F TV.

How do I do that, given that I want audio and 1080p, but the one HDMI port of the graphics card is already in use by my PC monitor. I have a DVI port available (and VGA, but VGA quality is too low).

I read in some topics that it's possible on Radeon cards to have audio over DVI (which normally is not possible) through a DVI to HDMI adaptor. I don't have such an adaptor (an HDMI to DVI adaptor came with the video card, though this is not what I'm looking for).

I also have an Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard, which has an integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290 GPU with an HDMI port. Could I use that one? I tried connecting my PC's monitor to that port, but it didn't detect any signal.

I prefer having video and audio through one cable, but I wouldn't mind it if it's separated.

Does anybody know what options I have, to get PC on TV with audio?

Thanks!

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
netgear makes a widi unit that will work with desktops. theres a base and a usb dongle,dongle for pc, base for tv. there is a negligible amount of lag, so its not ideal for games, but will work for movies and day to day use. otherwise your looking at multiple cables. as far as I'm aware.

EDP

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009

You, sir, are a genius.

This is a typical example of a solution I would never think of. If I had discussed this with my girlfriend, she would have thought of the same solution, which is a typical example of her way of thinking.

I always thought that HDMI was superior to DVI, but both are digital, so I presume the image quality is the same for a PC monitor.

Thanks for the quick solution, Sunius!

I'll let you know if I encounter any other problems when setting up the TV connection through HDMI, but I've already used a laptop HDMI connection to watch movies, so I know it works.

HDMI isn't superior to DVI in video quality, in fact, dual link DVI has double bandwidth of the HDMI cable :). Though the image quality will not change, it means that DVI supports higher resolutions.