I7 3770k question about compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
i was thinking of buying this processor, as I have the spare money, and my rig is badass, except the i3 2120 im running... Currently I have 2 660 TIs, 16gb of corsair ram, and the i3 2120..... My question is: I have a DH67BL Motherboard, On intels compatibility website, It says its compatible, but says different BIOs versions, So all I have to do, is download and install the updated bios, and it will run fine on my motherboard is this correct then ?

Heres the link to intels site with my compatibility chart, the i7-3770k is what I'm looking to get.

http://processormatch.intel.com/Co [...] ame=DH67BL

^ It confuses me, it says:

Spec#----Processor Frequency ---Intel HD Graphics Cache-----Bus Speed------Min. BIOS Version----Compatible Board Revision
SR0PL ------3.50 GHz----------------------Yes------------8 MB--------- N/A----------------0146----------G10189-206, G10189-207, G10189-208, G10189-209, G10189-210, G10189-211
SR0PL------ 3.50 GHz---------------------Yes-------------8 MB----------N/A----------------0150-------------G10189-212 or later, G44434- All

My board is a G10189-211, So does this mean its compatible as long as I use bios version 0146 and not a newer one, I'm confused

Now, My board is already at the Min. Bios Version of 0146, Does this mean i can buy an i7 3770k and it will work fine and is ready to go ? I have seen some people say that the DH67BL is not capable of running ivy bridge, but Intel's Website states that it is compatible... and this is a newer DH67BL, so will it work ?

Solution
My board is a G10189-211, So does this mean its compatible as long as I use bios version 0146 and not a newer one, I'm confused

Now, My board is already at the Min. Bios Version of 0146, Does this mean i can buy an i7 3770k and it will work fine and is ready to go ? I have seen some people say that the DH67BL is not capable of running ivy bridge, but Intel's Website states that it is compatible... and this is a newer DH67BL, so will it work ?

If your board is G10189-211 and your BIOS is 0146 then according to this you can simply plug in the 3770K and it should work.

So yeah you're right.
3770K will not overclock in that board so 3770 would give the same results. Yes you will have to upgrade the BIOS to support Ivy Bridge CPU.
If this is for gaming only you could get an I5 3570K and maybe get an overclockable Z77 motherboard for the price difference.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

If your board is G10189-211 and your BIOS is 0146 then according to this you can simply plug in the 3770K and it should work.

So yeah you're right.

Solution

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I know the board will not overclock any processor, But, I don't have money to upgrade my motherboard currently, But I do have the money for the processor upgrade. The reason I wanted to go with an i7, is more future proof then an i5, Also the reason I want to go with a 3770k is because then it is also future proof, Yes atm I won't get the overclock capability, But eventually the board will be upgraded, and the processor will be ready. If I went with a 3770, then I would have to upgrade the processor again, and for a $10-$20 difference, I would rather get the K and be more future proof.

InvalidError

Titan

The i7 is not really that much more 'futureproof' than the i5 unless you run or expect to run massively threaded applications in the near future.

It has taken over 10 years for games to start making some use of HT or 2nd core, it will likely take several more years for desktop application developers to find significant uses for 3+ cores in most mainstream software so by the time mainstream software starts giving today's i5 a significant workout, you will probably want to upgrade your i7 anyway because of PCIe 4.0, USB4, SATA4, quad-threaded cores, 6-8 cores in mainstream i7, chipset integrated into the CPU so no longer bottlenecked by the DMI bus, etc.

i7 may stretch a little longer than i5 but most likely not 50% longer, so not worth it unless you need that much threading now/soon.

Well when the time comes and you really need to overclock there will be bigger and better things on the market. My point is there is no need to buy the "K" unless you plan to overclock it, not use the overclock as an upgrade means in the future.
ElMo is right you can drop it straight in.
You list your board being DH67BL http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67bl.html and you have 2 x 660Ti!
That board as I see it only has one X16 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.