Dual mobility 5870's not working properly!! please help :(

I have had this alienware m17x R2 laptop for about 2 years now, and I've always had this problem that the back left side of the PC would get SO hot! I didn't really think this was a problem untill i couldnt enjoy skyrim at the maximum graphics, and therefore i decided to do something about it. I downloaded GPU-Z and i see now that the left and primary card is in use all the time, and has an average temperature on about 75celcius (max is a whopping 115celcius..). The right card however always has 0% memory usage and the temperature is always around 40celcius. I don't know what to do, because i have all the newest drivers, CCC is recently updated, and crossfire is enabled. The 2 GPU-Z tabs looks like this: (sorry, i didnt know how else to upload pictures..)

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/3976192/GPU+problem..+please+help
4 answers Last reply
More about dual mobility 5870 working properly
  1. Those readings are in real time. The 2nd card doesn't run until it's needed. CCC even tells you this under the blue i in overdrive. Dude, you'd best see if you can turn up them fans in Overdrive. Custom fan settings there ? I never dealt with a laptop with dual cards. I have 2 5850's in my desk top and never seen them warmer than 59 degrees cent. As far as skyrim goes you may be over taxing the cpu. My Crysis 2 doesn't run all that well on "ultra setting" in DX 11 mode. Backed it off a notch and it's still gorgeous and runs great. When I play HL 2 Death Match it only uses one card because it doesn't "need" the other one. Good Luck
  2. But i have massive slowdowns and framrate drops all the time in games.. thats what i mean my lag.. Skyrim runs smoothly for about 5 minutes and then slows massively down when the left side of the pc gets very hot.. Why doesnt the right fan kick in? Man im so ******* tired of this *** PC. *** dell and amd, what a bunch of ***
  3. i mean why doesnt the right card kick in? there is NEVER any activity on it, and i find that weird since i experience framerate drops in games all the time..
  4. maybe it's broke
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics