Sign in with
Your question

Faulty graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2012 3:00:29 PM

Hi,

I recently got myself a gaming laptop for my desktop replacement.

Spec;

Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3GHz (Ivy-Bridge)

16GB RAM + 1.5TB HDD + 8GB SSD

NVIDIA GTX 675M

But I can't seem to play ANY game above Low settings. I'm getting around 25-30 fps with Low. I played WoW earlier and I got 60 fps with Ultra.. But i log out, log back in and I start to get really bad fps on Low settings again. I've tried everything that others have mentioned, and nothing seems to be working. Could it be a faulty graphics card? I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

More about : faulty graphics card

a b Î Nvidia
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 4:33:56 PM

Many laptops use what are known as "switchable graphics".

The same display output is used for both the IGP that is on the Intel or AMD processor as well as any discrete graphics card that may be in the system. This requires that the discrete graphic's cards output be routed through the IGP.

NVidia and AMD both have slightly differing implementations of this but it generally means that OEM specific drivers may have to be used. If your performance is that abysmal it's possible that you're actually rendering with the HD4000 IGP and not the GTX 675M.

I'm not sure how it works with NVidia but with the Radeon HD Mobility lineup the Catalyst driver package also provides drivers for the Intel HD Graphics adapter. Installing the reference Intel drivers will render the discrete graphics card unusable until the Intel drivers are uninstalled and replaced with the AMD switchable graphics drivers.

It is important that you follow the installation instructions for your laptop closely as it is slightly more difficult than installing drivers on a desktop PC where each display adapter has its own outputs.
August 4, 2012 4:44:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into it more.

I found out that my FPS only drops when my AC isn't in. Is this extremely odd for a graphics card to not work properly without the AC in?
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 4:50:03 PM

Vsml said:
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into it more.

I found out that my FPS only drops when my AC isn't in. Is this extremely odd for a graphics card to not work properly without the AC in?

No that's standard behaviour.

Lithium batteries cannot deliver high current for a sustained period of time. Doing so would degrade the battery which would reduce the already short lifespan of these devices or even damage it completely.

To compensate for the battery's inability to deliver sufficient sustained power safely and to extend battery life, mobile VGAs automatically reduce their clock speed when on battery. This is in addition to any power saving features which may be enabled through the power plan.
August 4, 2012 5:09:36 PM

Thank you. I was getting worried and was starting to plan to exchange it! Thanks so much :) 
a b Î Nvidia
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 5:38:15 PM

You're most welcome
!