Blotch on Fuji Digital (non SLR) Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 29, 2005 6:29:39 PM

I have only had this (Fuji E550) digital (non SLR) camera less than a
couple of months, and just recently it started showing a consistent
darkish, soft round blotch on the upper right hand side of shots. This
can be seen on the lcd display, as well as much more clearly when the
photo/jpg is downloaded onto my pc. It happens with or without a flash,
and shows up most in light coloured shots, walls, etc.

Since this camera is not a SLR with a removable lens, I'm assuming it's
not dust on the sensor (Super CCD), so would that mean part of the
sensor has burnt out? (Isn't it a little soon for this to be
happening?) I've checked the outside of the lens, gently wiped it, and
it appears clean, yet the splotch remains in subsequent photos. I will
be taking the camera back to where I bought it if I can't solve the
problem safely myself. Any info would be appreciated.
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:44:02 AM

It could be and, from your description, probably is, dust, either inside the
lens assembly or on the sensor. Just because the lens isn't removable
doesn't mean that dust will be entirely excluded. Every time the lens is
deployed and retracts, some air is drawn in and out of the cavity in front
of the sensor that the lens parks in. As the camera is so new, your best bet
is to pursue the manufacturer warranty - though if you bought it locally
from a shop, they might even exchange it on the spot.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"weft2" <weft2@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I have only had this (Fuji E550) digital (non SLR) camera less than a
> couple of months, and just recently it started showing a consistent
> darkish, soft round blotch on the upper right hand side of shots. This
> can be seen on the lcd display, as well as much more clearly when the
> photo/jpg is downloaded onto my pc. It happens with or without a flash,
> and shows up most in light coloured shots, walls, etc.
>
> Since this camera is not a SLR with a removable lens, I'm assuming it's
> not dust on the sensor (Super CCD), so would that mean part of the
> sensor has burnt out? (Isn't it a little soon for this to be
> happening?) I've checked the outside of the lens, gently wiped it, and
> it appears clean, yet the splotch remains in subsequent photos. I will
> be taking the camera back to where I bought it if I can't solve the
> problem safely myself. Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:44:03 AM

Digital Photography Now wrote:
> It could be and, from your description, probably is, dust, either inside the
> lens assembly or on the sensor. Just because the lens isn't removable
> doesn't mean that dust will be entirely excluded. Every time the lens is
> deployed and retracts, some air is drawn in and out of the cavity in front
> of the sensor that the lens parks in. As the camera is so new, your best bet
> is to pursue the manufacturer warranty - though if you bought it locally
> from a shop, they might even exchange it on the spot.
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com
> Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html
>

> "weft2" <weft2@rogers.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have only had this (Fuji E550) digital (non SLR) camera less than a
>>couple of months, and just recently it started showing a consistent
>>darkish, soft round blotch on the upper right hand side of shots. This
>>can be seen on the lcd display, as well as much more clearly when the
>>photo/jpg is downloaded onto my pc. It happens with or without a flash,
>>and shows up most in light coloured shots, walls, etc.
>>
>>Since this camera is not a SLR with a removable lens, I'm assuming it's
>>not dust on the sensor (Super CCD), so would that mean part of the
>>sensor has burnt out? (Isn't it a little soon for this to be
>>happening?) I've checked the outside of the lens, gently wiped it, and
>>it appears clean, yet the splotch remains in subsequent photos. I will
>>be taking the camera back to where I bought it if I can't solve the
>>problem safely myself. Any info would be appreciated.

I also think it's possibly dust. It doesn't have to be SLR to have dust
problem, Sony P200 is notorious about dust getting inside.
!