Options for mounting restored print for play...?

Archived from groups: alt.games.wargames (More info?)

Options for mounting restored print for play...?

I've been restoring an old game I have and finally took in a massive
image file (26X19 300dpi) and had it printed on paper.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.

I've looked at foam board but A) it seems to bow and B) it seems
relatively delicate and easy to 'snap' or poke holes in... I just
can't imagine a game board mounted on this surface surviving for years
and years...

I've also found something called Mat Board or Crescent Board
(Crescent is the brand) which is essentially heavy solid cardboard w/
white surface in various thicknesses - I could take 2 halves of the
print and mount them - make for smaller storage. Maybe even fashion a
hinge out of some kind of material. It looks to be similar to a
traditional game board backing but it's not going to be bound in any
sort of 'vinyl' or whatever on it's backside or edges however... It
might last a while perhaps longer than foam board but still not
infallible.

Maybe some sort of wood...? I might need to frame it somehow around
the edges - if too thin it too could warp perhaps over time.

Just looking for any suggestions on a good way to mount a restored
print of an old game in a way to make it reasonably robust and useable
but not costing a fortune.

thanks!

Archived from groups: alt.games.wargames (More info?)

How about Plexiglas? Get some spray adhesive glue and mount it to the
Plexiglas. It won't warp and it relatively inexpensive.
Todd
"pgtr" <pgtr(deletethisandsubstituteatsymbol)bigfoot[ot]com> wrote in
message news:ril0a09evvfrb07pn6jl5gscq98acb40ab@4ax.com...
> Options for mounting restored print for play...?
>
> I've been restoring an old game I have and finally took in a massive
> image file (26X19 300dpi) and had it printed on paper.
>
> Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.
>
> I've looked at foam board but A) it seems to bow and B) it seems
> relatively delicate and easy to 'snap' or poke holes in... I just
> can't imagine a game board mounted on this surface surviving for years
> and years...
>
> I've also found something called Mat Board or Crescent Board
> (Crescent is the brand) which is essentially heavy solid cardboard w/
> white surface in various thicknesses - I could take 2 halves of the
> print and mount them - make for smaller storage. Maybe even fashion a
> hinge out of some kind of material. It looks to be similar to a
> traditional game board backing but it's not going to be bound in any
> sort of 'vinyl' or whatever on it's backside or edges however... It
> might last a while perhaps longer than foam board but still not
> infallible.
>
> Maybe some sort of wood...? I might need to frame it somehow around
> the edges - if too thin it too could warp perhaps over time.
>
> Just looking for any suggestions on a good way to mount a restored
> print of an old game in a way to make it reasonably robust and useable
> but not costing a fortune.
>
> thanks!

Archived from groups: alt.games.wargames (More info?)

Alternatively, store it as paper and put it under 1/16" plexiglass to
play.

George D. Phillies wrote:
> Alternatively, store it as paper and put it under 1/16" plexiglass to
> play.

<nods> That's how I used to do it back in the day when I had time to
play large scale boardgames.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man