How do I add another wireless switch to existing network?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I already have a wireless router but the signal strength doesn't seem to penetrate brick walls well. I want to add another wireless switch to access the same Internet but am not sure exactly what I should purchase. I know I don't want another router, so what should I buy?

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
what you want is a wireless repeater not a switch. you can buy the crappy 30 dollar wifi repeaters in the store or you can buy a real router that supports being turned into a repeater and use that. also make sure you are running 802.11n not g, if you are on g upgrade to n and you may not need a repeater at all. make sure your router is one with external antennas and not internal, you can add larger antennas that way.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
what you want is a wireless repeater not a switch. you can buy the crappy 30 dollar wifi repeaters in the store or you can buy a real router that supports being turned into a repeater and use that. also make sure you are running 802.11n not g, if you are on g upgrade to n and you may not need a repeater at all. make sure your router is one with external antennas and not internal, you can add larger antennas that way.

Solution