Sign in with
Your question

Publisher 2007

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2012 7:07:46 PM

I use Publisher 2007. Since I started operating with Windows7, the web page preview is distorted. Is there a solution? Thank you, Bill Kay

More about : publisher 2007

a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 8:44:13 PM

Did you install the video drivers and set the monitor resolution to the right one for your monitor?
February 13, 2012 9:16:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I made sure the resolution was correct. Still have the same display problem. Where do I find drivers other than what was installed with the program?
Related resources
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 10:22:30 PM

The video drivers are not installed with the program, but for the hardware you have, from the PC vendor. Is the only video issue with Publisher? Can you post a screenshot of what this looks like?
February 13, 2012 11:12:41 PM

I tried pasting but reply area won't allow. My web site is bksales.com The web site is before windows7. The preview moved the hyper links on the logo and the fonts have changed size.
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 12:50:54 PM

Oh, that's probably from using a new version of the browser. I though "distorted" meant the actual web page was corrupt or wavy or had an image issue. You have an issue with just rendering of the web page in the browser.

Did you have a different version of Internet Explorer on the computer before?

I'm sure it's just changed because different browser versions render HTML code different. I am not sure if Publisher has a "preview in other browser" option, but check for that. You may need to move some things around or tweak the code by hand to make things look like you want.
February 14, 2012 4:39:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Oh, that's probably from using a new version of the browser. I though "distorted" meant the actual web page was corrupt or wavy or had an image issue. You have an issue with just rendering of the web page in the browser.

Did you have a different version of Internet Explorer on the computer before?

I'm sure it's just changed because different browser versions render HTML code different. I am not sure if Publisher has a "preview in other browser" option, but check for that. You may need to move some things around or tweak the code by hand to make things look like you want.

I actually had 2 problems. The first being the web page preview and the other was not be able to upload. Bringing up Explorer was the key. I have always used Firefox as my default browser. There is where I get the present distortion and inability to upload. I switched to Explorer and found that I could preview without distortion and was also able to upload the site and view on line. However, The down side is that at this point, who ever views my website should use Explorer. If Firefox is used, then the site will be distored.
Is there a way to remedy that? You have been a big help. This issue was becoming a major hurddle for me.
Thanks again, Bill
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 5:54:12 PM

There is a way to fix this, but it will require some work.

A. You need to research the problem areas, look at the HTML code and then see with some online searching which way you can code things to both browsers display the same thing. So you'd save in Publisher then open the code in a text editor and look at what may need fixing.

B. Try a different program to generate the web page. Or maybe see if Publisher has some options to save in a more generic way. Usually programs like Publisher and Word generate a lot of extra code and may use things that work better with I.E.

C. You can actually have several versions of the web page made, and the web server will check which version the person visiting is using, and then displays the right version for them. This will also involve some looking into how to code that on your site.

I like Dreamweaver, but there are some free web page editors also that would work.

Just don't call this "distortion", it's really the wrong term here. It's a web page rendering issue. Distortion makes it seem like it's an actual fault of something usually an image that is messed up somehow, like a bad TV signal, but here it's not really, just how different browsers read and display HTML code.
February 17, 2012 6:56:48 PM

Now I'm disappointed. Just 1 month ago I was using Publisher 2007 with XP and used Firefox as my default browser and all browsers were reading my site the same way. I don't know anything about html, that's why I use publisher. What it boils down to is that Windows7 is not compatable with Publisher 2007. All comments that I've read that say that Publisher is compatable with 7 is misleading. If the world used Explorer, then it would work. It's tmes like this when Microsoft shows that it is not userfriedly. Very very frustrated with Windows 7. Not only do they remove the web design from Publisher, they make sure it will only work with their browser.
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 12:40:01 PM

bksales said:
Now I'm disappointed. Just 1 month ago I was using Publisher 2007 with XP and used Firefox as my default browser and all browsers were reading my site the same way. I don't know anything about html, that's why I use publisher. What it boils down to is that Windows7 is not compatable with Publisher 2007. All comments that I've read that say that Publisher is compatable with 7 is misleading. If the world used Explorer, then it would work. It's tmes like this when Microsoft shows that it is not userfriedly. Very very frustrated with Windows 7. Not only do they remove the web design from Publisher, they make sure it will only work with their browser.

It's not Windows 7, it's the browser that it comes with. Publisher is not a good web design tool anyway, it's too messy, like using Word. It IS compatible because it runs on it, it's just the way Publisher 2007 renders the pages it does not work well with the new I.E. version. And that's due to the fact that Publisher does not make very good web pages.
February 20, 2012 1:18:10 PM

I don't understand what you mean by the browser that it comes with and does not work with the new I.E. version. All that I absolutely know as a fact, is that Publisher woked with XP and does not work with 7. Publisher may not meet the standards of a software pro, but it meets my needs and satifies my customers. What publisher did for small business was to allow daily, weeky on monthly changes to their web site without having to be a web designer. I will have to use my old computer to maintain my publisher web site untill I find another solution. The bottomline is that Publisher will not preform as XP did. That is my lesson. I may have to swith to a GoDaddy provided web site that is at my knolwedge level. Thank you for the information on my problem.
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 1:37:29 PM

XP came with I.E. 6, you may have upgraded it to something, maybe not.

Windows 7, if you ran all the updates will be at 9. Since Publisher shows the preview in the web browser that's installed, it will be showing it to you in the new I.E. version, which renders the html code in a different way.

What you are seeing is not an issue of XP vs. 7 but rather whatever version of I.E. was installed on those systems. Which is the same thing really from an end-user point of view but is very very different when it comes to finding the issue.

Like you may come in to a hospital saying "I was shot in the leg", but to the doctor that does mot matter as much as exactly where you were shot. A bullet in the knee requires different methods to remove than one in the foot, same thing with this issue.

If it was a Windows 7 issue, not much can be done, but since it's just a matter of how Publisher creates the code, it can be fixed by changing how the code is generated to be compatible with different browsers.

When you made your web pages before, did you test them under different operating systems and web browsers? Did you check how it looked in I.E. 6-9, Firefox, Opera, etc...? On a MAC vs XP vs Vista vs 7? You can't just create pages for yourself, you need to create them for anyone that may be vising the site unless you you force them to use whatever OS and web browser version you are using.
February 20, 2012 2:48:08 PM

Here is what I know about my web site.I actually viewed my web site from other computers using XP, Vista, MAC, Iphone, Ipad, Firefox and Explorer. All views were the same. I don't know what that means except that the majority of users are viewing my web site as intended using XP.
a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 2:55:25 PM

bksales said:
Here is what I know about my web site.I actually viewed my web site from other computers using XP, Vista, MAC, Iphone, Ipad, Firefox and Explorer. All views were the same. I don't know what that means except that the majority of users are viewing my web site as intended using XP.

Great, that's pretty much all you need to do for testing.

There is actually an older post on Tom's http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/13514-63-office-publi... about the same type of issue you are seeing. Of course the guy that started the thread just said "I got it working" without any details. See if you can upgrade to Publisher 2010, or try this http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/

Keeping an XP computer around may also not be a bad idea if you don't want to go though the learning curve of a new product. You can also run a virtual XP machine in 7. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...
!