Sign in with
Your question

Help me select an Intel CPU and motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2013 3:01:54 PM

Ever since I built my current computer I have yet to upgrade anything and have always went with AMD in terms of my processor. I am now looking into investing some money into upgrades and am heavily favoring an Intel CPU. I don't do any serious gaming lately as I am a full time student but I play the occasional game (SCII, Withcher 2, etc). I mainly use my PC to surf multiple multiple tabs in Firefox, downloading w/ uTorrent, playing videos on my second monitor, etc..

If I were to buy an Intel CPU will it be compatible with the rest of my components (GPU, Ram, etc)? Basically I just need to switch the CPU (obviously) and buy a compatible motherboard correct?

If I were to buy a new CPU I'm currently looking most likely to buying an Intel i5 or i7 but wouldn't know which one to select or what exactly to look for.

What would you recommend for a new Intel CPU and compatible motherboard? I will definitely be over clocking as well and don't want my motherboard to hold me back (for instance my current motherboard doesn't have "vrm cooling")

Current Setup is below:
Ram: g.Skill Ripjaws 8gb
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
Power: 600W OCZ
Case: MidTower
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 3:36:10 PM

Since you are going to use your computer for those casual works and a little bit of gaming, i think a 3gen i5 is a better option for you. No need to go with the i7.

And yes for this migration you have to change your motherboard. but you can keep your RAM and graphics.

Give us your approx budget so we can suggest some good motherboard and processor for you

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 4:22:27 PM

saw the deals

and i think you should go with i5 3450 and GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H motherboard . (PRODUCT CODE- 380527)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 4:36:37 PM

Sorry missed out the $50 savings condition banner..

if this is true then surely go with the i5 3570k. you will get a better processor within same budget.
m
l
!