Sign in with
Your question

System won't boot, no bios or beep but CPU fan is on.

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2012 2:57:08 PM

Hey I've googled and checked this forum and have seen it's a common problem but I'm wondering if someone could still help out.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting blue screen of death here and there which has rarely/never happened to me. It would blue screen, then reset, then hang on the motherboard logo and I'd have to shut off the PSU switch on the back and turn it on again that way. Today it seems to have gone for good as it won't boot into bios, no display. There's no power going to keyboard or mouse either, when I plug in mouse while it's on it just does a quick flicker of red light but doesn't stay on. However the CPU fan is still on and when I have the video card in those fans are on also.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a power supply issue or motherboard. It's not a new build the parts are about 3 years old and everything has worked fine until now. At first I thought it might be a motherboard issue but then I took out ALL of the ram sticks, booted and it did beeps to let you know there's no ram so I thought that was a sign the motherboard was okay and maybe it's the power supply. I have no way of checking if it's really done though and no extra one to test on the mobo.

I likely won't be able to do anything about it as far as getting new parts anytime soon since I can't afford it right now but any other tests/changes I could try to get it working? I've reset the cmos jumper as well but nothing. I've disconnected everything except the CPU and 1 ram stick (which I've cleaned with pencil eraser) but same thing. When I turn it on there's no single beep which always happened when it was working. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
September 24, 2012 3:08:14 PM

I had the same issue a while ago and it was my CPU it just died. i got a new one and everything is now working. please post your setup and i will see if we can help find a solition to your problem.

ray_d said:
Hey I've googled and checked this forum and have seen it's a common problem but I'm wondering if someone could still help out.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting blue screen of death here and there which has rarely/never happened to me. It would blue screen, then reset, then hang on the motherboard logo and I'd have to shut off the PSU switch on the back and turn it on again that way. Today it seems to have gone for good as it won't boot into bios, no display. There's no power going to keyboard or mouse either, when I plug in mouse while it's on it just does a quick flicker of red light but doesn't stay on. However the CPU fan is still on and when I have the video card in those fans are on also.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a power supply issue or motherboard. It's not a new build the parts are about 3 years old and everything has worked fine until now. At first I thought it might be a motherboard issue but then I took out ALL of the ram sticks, booted and it did beeps to let you know there's no ram so I thought that was a sign the motherboard was okay and maybe it's the power supply. I have no way of checking if it's really done though and no extra one to test on the mobo.

I likely won't be able to do anything about it as far as getting new parts anytime soon since I can't afford it right now but any other tests/changes I could try to get it working? I've reset the cmos jumper as well but nothing. I've disconnected everything except the CPU and 1 ram stick (which I've cleaned with pencil eraser) but same thing. When I turn it on there's no single beep which always happened when it was working. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

September 24, 2012 3:22:56 PM

Read through this and do each one STEP by STEP. It will either fix your issue or tell you what is wrong with your system. Please don't skip any steps no matter how trivial they may seem. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Also please post your system specs on here for us.
Thanks! and good luck!
!