I just recently finished my new build consisting of:
Asus P8z77-V
i5 3570k (with stock cooling)
Geforce 670
8 GB corsair vengeance ram
2x 500 gb HDD's
Corsair HX750 cooling

all in a HAF 912+ case

When i first loaded it up, installed everything and checked temperatures with HWmonitor i got temps ranging from 45-60 on idle. This seemed crazy so i immediately turned it off and reapplied the thermal paste on the stock cooler. Now i get temperatures in the low 70's (!!) degrees Celcius ofcourse.

What is happening here? I've been told that Ivy Bridge CPU's tend to run alittle hotter than other cpus but this seems way too hot. My cable management is by no means beautiful but it isn't obstructing the front-to-back airflow in any significant way.
Would a aftermarket cooler such as the Hyper 212+ Evo help significantly?

On my last AMD Phenom build i ran at a beautiful 19 degrees Celcius on idle with a Corsair A70. I want to get back down there again.

One last thing: As i was reapplying the thermal paste i took great care not to 'overdo' it, hence it is spread in a layer which is thing enough to be vaguely see-through at places. Does this sound too thin?

Thanks!

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
As far as I know Intel CPUs run even cooler than AMD ones, so there is definitely something strange going on there, you should hardly see 45-60 on heavy load let alone idle.

If you have put a pea size drop of thermal paste and spread it about, that is enough.

Yes the 212 would help but even the stock cooler shouldn't be at this temp.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007

This is what worries me. I can't find any reason for temperatures this crazy. Airflow is fine, thermal paste is spread nice and evenly at about a pea size, the cooler runs fine. Could this potentially be a hardware problem?

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
So in other words you'd advocate acquiring some aftermarket cooling? Provided that other programs confirm the temperatures ofcourse.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I'd first try what Chugot9218 said before dishing out any money.

Try a few different temp monitoring programs first to see if just the readings may be wrong.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I checked in the bios and it's 'only' 37 degrees celcius apparently. That still seems hot for idle though.

On another note my system has now begun to super quickly BSOD upon boot up and then restart. It's worrying me.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Any ideas what the cause of the BSODs could be? I had one earlier this day but didn't mind it because i'd just had 88 OS updated. So it didn't seem weird. In retrospect, i get them relatively often and they are solved by booting up on the Vista install disc. insteadn and repairing.

Sorry for deviating from my own topic like this. As a new builder this seems like a total mess.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I'm sorry for the premature info. The 37C was just as i had entered into the BIOS upon boot up. It since rises abit as the computer stays on.

As i've observes so far the average temp will still be some 40C or so. The variance is quite big though. Core 0 is at 46C while core 3 is at 34C. I tried playing some Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (Unreal Engine 3 btw) This way i quickly end up in the lower high 60's low 70's with my warmest cores.

... And yes, i run Vista. Apart from being outdated and technologically unattractive, is this a problem? I haven't found the money to buy a Win 7 copy yet and Vista still gets the job done regarding game compatibility and DX11 support.

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Did you apply any overclocking? How are the voltages? Make sure the Mobo is running things at stock settings for cpu mulltiplier and voltage.
Unlikely to be the culprit. May be worth checking though.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
No overclocking. The Core voltage seem to have some variance (is this normal?) According to CPU-Z its at 0.936-1.016

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
My BIOS is up to date as of this post. I have yet to turn off my computer since then but i'll see whether or not the BSODs are gone during the morning.

I've just ordered a hyper 212 Evo which should arrive Monday. Am i safe to play games over the weekend with temps like 68-72C under load for the warmest cores? or should i specifically go for less CPU intensive games?

Regarding the OS: Well .. All the more reason for me to save up for an update.

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Seems normal for stock cooling. I'd recommend the Cooler Master GeminII since you can orient it 3 different ways depending on your RAM setup and it looks way more awesome than the 212 when it's installed in your case. 70C isn't high enough to give you a BSOD though, that seems strange to me. Voltages seem normal (yes they will fluctuate a little).

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
smokeybravo, thanks for the recommendation. I'm considering canceling my order and going with that one instead. The thing i like about the Hyper 212, however, is that i can orient the exhaust fan to the towards the rear exhaust of the computer.

The felixibility regarding Ram is enticing though. Do you have positive personal experience with it?

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I'm using it with my A10-5800K (runs hotter than your 3570K) and I'm getting temp ranges from 25C-45C (idle to load). I did upgrade the fan to a Corsair 120mm high performance fan, however. And I'm using Shin-Etsu thermal grease. Those 2 changes alone gave me about 5C more cooling. I tried the Evo 212, and it would not fit with my RAM in an A1-B1 config, plus its an eyesore in my opinion.

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Smokeybravo, i'm gonna go with a GeminiII instead then.

I still get BSODs btw. I don't even know if they qualify as BSODs. I get a very brief BSOD flash up on the screen and then the computer restarts (without turning off) This'll happen untill i boot from the OS and go through the repair sequence. Then everything boots up fine.

I have noticed in the BIOS, however, that my Chassis Fan 2 is only running at 350 RPM and is displayed in red. That is right upon start up ofcourse. Is this a problem and can it be fixed?

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Good choice. It's easier to install than the Evo 212. The brackets that come with the Evo 212 also allow it to slide around on top of the CPU, then again it's like $20. The GeminII has solid brackets instead of those ones that click into place to fit different sockets. It beats the hell out of me why so many people like the Evo.

And the fan thing, I'm not sure. It could be an issue with your motherboard not registering the proper fan speed. Every utility I've used is showing my CPU Fan Speed 1 as 0 RPMs, and yet I can clearly see in the case it's working as it should.

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Here's a picture of it in action.

j77wae.jpg

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Great picture! Is it the sf524?. That and the Mx-4 thermal paste should alleviate my temperature concerns.
Doesn't it somewhat obstruct the front-to-back airflow, though?

Regarding BSODs i just today found out that most of my Vista updates have failed because i apparently needed to re-register my Vista copy. My point is that i am missing a lot of major updates which i'm only now downloading. Could this be a BSOD cause?

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
The BSOD is as follows:

***STOP:0x0000007BC0xFFFFF98000A0A9C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Edit: I just realised the first chain probably is supposed to be divided into two. My bad.

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
If you're getting BSOD on boot and restart, there's probably an issue with your hard-drive and/or operating system. I don't think it's related to temperature since the temps you reported are not high enough to cause a BSOD. What are the specs of your boot drive? I think the problem lies either there or with Vista.

First try making an ISO of Ubuntu and do a fresh install to see if it's Vista that's giving you problems. If that doesn't work, try doing a fresh install on the HDD you aren't currently using as your boot drive.