CPU climbing to 80 degrees and shutting off in start up.

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
OK so I made a post yesterday about my CPU spiking in temperature whenever I opened a game, browser watched a video etc etc, and if I did the combination of any of those my temperature would spike to 60+ degrees and cpu fan would be at 5k rpm.

here's the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364238-28-rapidly-fluctuating-temperatures-please

So now my problem is my CPU is climbing to 80 degrees within 20ish seconds of turning it on and then shuts off, I go into the BIOS and it's starting up at ~50 degrees Celsius. I've applied new thermal paste, cleaned out the small amount of dust that was in there but I don't know what to do now because nothing I have done has made a difference.

In the thread i made previously they recommended a new CPU cooler and while I'm going to get one, I don't know that it's my problem because my Heat Sink I have now IS absorbing heat, but it's definitely not the kind of heat my computer is saying it is, Pretty sure I would burn my fingers. (Maybe my heat sink sucks??)

Only thing I can think it might be is a faulty heat sensor?? Anything I can do if it is this?

I'm pretty stumped, I'm to the point where I'm going to see if I can take my motherboard back to Frys and exchange it for a new one.

PC Specs again:
AMD FX 8350 not OC'd, with Stock cooler
Gigabyte 970a-DS3 motherboard
8 gigs of patriot ram 1600 speed
Gigabyte GTX 650 graphics card, no issues here
700 watt power supply
120 gig ssd, no issues there
Corsair 200R case
Currently 6 fans in my case 2 on top and 1 in back are exhaust, 2 on side and 1 in front are intake.

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Yeah I'll be getting a new cooler, but like I said in my post, the one I have now IS absorbing heat. Does that mean anything? Also, with the way the temperature is rising will a new CPU cooler honestly fix it? I feel like since the one I have now is absorbing heat, it can't be the source of the problem.

Thanks for the response! Would love some more opinions.

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Alright I'll give it a shot and let you know if it worked, thanks!

update: ok so i reset the cmos and bios, for mine i had to take a screwdriver and touch these 2 pins to reset the cmos so i did that and i took the battery out for about 10 seconds popped it back in, I turned the computer on and i got to the window where it asks me if i want reset the bios settings to default (something along those lines) so i did that, went to a black screen for about 10 seconds and then it shut off again.

Any other suggestions?

Hello... verify your CPU voltages and FSB, vs Spec'd settings... Could the BIO's be setting your CPU to the wrong settings... or You?

Verify you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPUFAN connector on your motherboard.

If your heatsink is HOT...I would agree it is doing it's JOB... CPU sensors can and have been defective...

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computer's so I'm not really sure what I need to look for with your first set of suggestions "verify your CPU voltages and FSB, vs Spec'd settings" If you could explain what I need to look for that would be great! For your second question, I haven't changed any BIOS settings it's been all default since I built it.

And yes the CPU fan is plugged into the correct spot.

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
OK so a little update, seems dumb but for some reason it's working, I put my computer on it's side so that the cpu cooler was pressing down directly on it and my computer is actually turning on and not instantly going to 80 degrees and shutting off.

Did a little testing by opening up every program that I couldn't before, and I'm getting temperatures right around 40 degrees Celsius, so I think it's safe to say I just need a new cpu cooler that makes better contact.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

When you put the cooler on, you did use the locking cam thing(lever) to pull the heatsink tight right?(then it locks in place) If you did not, she will get VERY hot very fast.

If you have room and want replace the heatsink for the a good price, get the CoolerMaster 212+ or EVO

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I actually cant get my cooler to lock in to place, the little plastic lever doesn't lock in any position I put it in, besides that i can't get it to hook into both sides either, I can get it to hook into one or the other I would have to apply a LOT of pressure to even try to get the second side to hook in. Maybe I'm not doing it right? >.>

And yes those were the exact coolers I was looking at :)

OK,

With the heatsink lever facing you, I think it should be on the LEFT side to be loose enough to install on the cpu socket. first place the side without the leaver onto the clip then place the lever side over the plastic lug(you may have to apply pressure downward). If you get both sides on, you just have to rotate the lever to the right to lock it and hold onto the cpu tightly. Yes this pulls hard, but as long as the heatsink is on the cpu right, it will NOT damage the board or socket.

Poor contact explains the heat fore sure.

ninjafeet

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks so much for this, took a little messing with but I got it locked in on both sides now and it's helping quite a bit sitting right around 30-35 degrees now, still noisy as hell though haha.

@IronSounds, yeah I've got thermal paste on there and obviously now locked in properly, thanks for your help!

AMD's stock cooler is WAY louder then I like to here. Hell even Intel's(mostly the new low profile coolers they ship that have less cooling the the old Core2 duo and Quad coolers) is, but you know. matter of taste.

You may be able to adjust the fan profiles, but the fans built in thermal control tends to get a little out of control.