Slow booting at times

rocknroll0237

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi there,

Windows 7 usually takes about 40 seconds to load, but after install or un-installing things and/or changing the registry, Windows can take 2 or 3 minutes to boot. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Cam

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I've noticed my other computer which still runs off 2 HDDs runs very slow compared to my SSD PC. So if your going back in fourth its seems like a long time but its really well.. for an HDD its not a long time. I used a program that speedtest.net recommended to me earlier this month called tuneup utilities you can try that it actually did what it said and made my computer run much better and this computer runs off an SSD so it was very suprising. Not a free program but it has a 15 day free trial if you want to try that but if its an SSD it may just need to be trimmed my SSD only hits 180MBs cuz i can't trim it in RAID.

rocknroll0237

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Yes I know about SSDs, in fact I was considering in going halves with my Dad on one, but I was referring to my Hard drive. I doubt it's to do with clutter or anything because I use Ccleaner, I check for viruses, etc and I defragged it recently.

What I wanted to know was whether or not it was normal for startup to take longer than usual after making changes to the registry or installing/uninstalling.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
You disable some unnecessary start up items.

open the windows start menu type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks)
Choose the "selective startup".
Go to the startup tab and un-tick everything you don't need - leave the anitvirus, your graphics program and any other essentials.
Then click "OK" at the bottom once your done.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

As long as it happens only once after you made one of these changes and the next boot is again 40 sec long it is normal. Windows is probably creating a system restore point.

Your registry tells windows everything so yes you can make it take longer or even cause a failed start. I suggest using Advanced systems care deep scan. This scan will remove all the uninstall info as well as defrag and compress your registry. Its turbo boost also allows you to shutdown unused services to speed up your system.

Ccleaner is good but Advanced systems care does so much more. Closing security risks due to improper setup, malware + adware cleaner, and defrages + compress the registry. Its really Ccleaner, regmedic, adaware, and windows update all rolled into one. This is not even to speak of turbo boost disabling unneeded services. While the extra time to start windows isn't odd I wouldn't suggest manually registry editing. Its only advisable if instructed to do so by software developers such as Microsoft or a company's software you have installed.

Advanced systems care is number 10 on cnets most download so its a good solution to many registry problems.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/

rocknroll0237

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. :D
I don't think I've really got registry issues (then again, I might), but it looks like a useful program.