CPU recommendation for ASUS M5A78L-MLX Plus

davemcp

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hi all, I purchased 2 bare bones kits from tiger direct several months ago and have not been able to get either system to install xp or win7. I can install Linux or ESX on both systems without a problem but windows fails. I have updated the bios on both boards to Asus's latest and downloaded and slipstreamed the drivers into XP SP2&3 install disks as well as Win7x64 Ultimate and Home Premium.

I think my problem is a hardware incompatibility between the Mobo and the CPU.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 HDX945WFGMBOX
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus

What Mobo would you recommend for the Phenom II CPU
What CPU would you recommend for the ASUS mobo

This system won't be used for gaming so I don't need a lot of Horsepower. I just need a good reliable proven system that will run windows (wife's computer not mine. ;)

TIA

BringingChaos

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

I have a M5A78L-MLX Plus and Phenom II 720 BE in route to my house now. I have read that I will need to update my BIOS first thing. A BIOS update is what granted compatibility with the Phenom II series.
This is very easy to do with the M5A78L-MLX Plus using EZ Flash.

Get your driver here.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A78LM_LX/#support_Download

This may be of help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcuVdY0MimQ

Sorry, guess I didn't ntice you said you tried updating the BIOS.

davemcp

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
As I mentioned I have updated to the lates bios, downloaded the latest drivers slipstreamed them into winxp sp2 and sp3 as well as win7 and win7 sp1. On the xp installes I get a BSOD that says basically no installation target drive available. The win 7 install just keeps asking for a compatible driver for the storage controller and I have tried them all as well as setting the bios to SATA AHCI and RAID none fo them work. Linux see's the storage just fine as does ESX5.1 but windows just won't see them.

I have never had problems with ASUS boards before and their tech support says "It should work"