Audigy: content protection in the hardware?

htgoetz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I heard that this line of cards has build in some kind of content-protection. If this is true does anyone know the details? How does it show?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I heard something like that but never saw any proof, if you can find any, that would be another drop in the bucket of reasons why I don't use Creative cards anymore.

Back to you Tom...

htgoetz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In an article of the Register "http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/20974.html" i found the following: "... To keep the music industry happy, Audigy contains ContentPass technology to prevent unauthorised music duplications. ..."

I don't think i'll buy a card with content protection build in the hardware.

I would like to hear Tom about that. He didn't mention something like that in his test of the card.

Thomas

htgoetz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know ...
Most things i heard and read were positive. Only the content protection keeps me from buying the card.

Thomas

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would like to hear Tom about that. He didn't mention something like that in his test of the card.

Thomas

We just did :)

I love the part where they say other soundcards sound better but they will recommend this one anyway.

Yeah, I had a good laugh about that one. I understand their reasoning, but still...it's stupid. I like my Game Theater XP very much, thank you :)

BTW, a friend of mine was going to pay Creative $150 for JUST a Live Drive w/ remote. I politely showed him an OEM Platinum w/ Live Drive & remote for $116 or so.
Then I asked him if he likes bending over for Creative. He didn't say anything.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

ok im lost... i cant seem to find anywhere on the soundblaster site mentioning this content prevention thing (correct me if im wrong, the url would be nice)

how does it work? i mean how will the hardware tell if its authorised or unauthorised? cause if you own the original and burn the cd for 'backup' thats legit. im so lost :(

G

I just got an Audigy card and I don't know what you all are talking about. It functions the same as my 4 SBLive cards for all media. If you read up on that protection scheme, it is only for WMA format files.

So sites that want to provide things with Microsoft's WMA format will be able to put in protection. They can in no way do anything to the mp3 or cd standards as they are right now.

The support in the hardware just means that if someone creates a WMA format file with the authentication in it, this sound card will actually support it unlike most other sound cards right now.

Don't all freak out:) This card makes my Klipsch 5.1 speakers sound even better now (hard to imagine), even better than my 'old' SBLive Platinum 5.1:) As for the Audigy compared to other make cards, I don't really know how they size up. I buy SB cards simply because for the audio work I do and game testing/experimentation. The firewire and midi/spdif connections are perfect for what this machine is for esp. for the price.

htgoetz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>ok im lost... i cant seem to find anywhere on the soundblaster site mentioning this content prevention thing (correct me if im wrong, the url would be nice)

I can't find anything either. I assume that creative don't want to frighten away their customers. I got some confirmation dor the inclusion of the content protection:
http://guru3d.com/cgi-bin/newspro/ktalk/992697467,1525,.shtml
http://www.otakupc.com/News/creative_audigy_pr.shtml
http://audigy.boom.ru/9.html

There is no statement of Creative that confirms or denies the content protection of the Audigy. I think creative just wants to sneak content protection by us. It may be inactive now and activated with an driver update or something else. Windows XP, with its build in content protection, will definitly make use of the audigy's hardware content protection.

>how does it work? i mean how will the hardware tell if its authorised or unauthorised? cause if you own the original and burn the cd for 'backup' thats legit. im so lost :(

I don't know how it does work! That was one of my questions i hope to get an answer here.

Here are some links about 'content protection':
http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html
http://www.microsoft.com/winhec/sessions2001/Secure.htm

It would be very helpfull if Tom could investigate the issue.

htgoetz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know ... How about something like that: If your mp3, audio-cd or whatever doesn't identify themselves as protected or legal they won't play. I know they can't jump from now to that in one step, but i am convinced that that is the ultimative goal of the music- and film industry. It may take them some years and many lawsuits, but in the end ... we'll see. :-(
Don't take me wrong, i am NOT against content and copy protection. But no music or film industry has anything to say about what happens on my computer! If they don't want that music or films are copied by computers they should think a bit more about how they can prevent that such content doesn't end on the harddrive of some computer.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend brought the sb live because it is the most popular sound card. He thought the card should have the less compatibility problem. Guess he thought wrong.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reason they are the most popular is because the AWE64 was the most popular, the AWE32 was the most popular, the SB16 was the most popular, the SB Pro was the most popular-they built themselves a reputation over years of good marketing, just like Intel did. It's amazing that guys who think thier too smart to go for an Intel CPU still fall for the Creative line.

Back to you Tom...

Secretninja

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
With respect to how the riaa and american film industry can reduce piracy its easy. STOP OVER PRICING. i copy stuff because i cant aford to pay (and dont wish to pay) £20 for some thing that costs pence for them to make. sure factor in markting production costs etc and its still not high enough to push the price to £20 for a film or £10 - £15 for a cd. also reagons were a BAD idea from the start. it helps priacy in every way as the code to protect the film, no mater how hard they make it some one will try and break it (and there are some very cleaver people doing just this), does nothing. once the crackers get round the code they can do what they want. also as the films wont be avalable world wide imeadiantly there is a ready market for people who want to see the latist films asap.
this industry needs to give up on meglomainia. they cant rule our music and films any more. its the public's choice if they accept this kind of copy protection. And just like moast people i dont.