Monitor plugged into PCI-E, but onboard graphics card is primary

KungMartin

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2012
Hello all.

I have a big problem. I've had it for over a year now, I tried everything when the problem arose a year ago with no luck. Now I want to try and fix it again.

Basically what happened a year ago is that I installed new drivers, rebooted, and since my PC has lost like 30% of its flare. I obviously uninstalled the drivers, used driver sweeper, and installed my previous drivers (when everything was fine), but I still got the same result. Aquamark 3 proves it. Here are the results from when they were good, compared to now:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m530/kungmartin/GoodResult.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m530/kungmartin/BadResult.jpg

Notice the huge difference in Average FPS. Also, notice how in operating system, it says "Type: Proffessional" in the good result, but is blank in the bad result. Wonder what happened there?

Anyway, I tried everything before to fix it. Nothing worked. Now one year later, I've found another clue.

I have an onboard graphics card called 9400. Now the weird thing is that when I use the "detect graphics card" function on Nvidias website, it says that it detects my onboard graphics card as the "primary device". Could that be it ?

Problem is, aquamark clearly says "geforce 9800 GTX". And geforce 9800 GTX is clearly listed in my Device Manager (for some reason 9400 is listed ABOVE my pci-e 9800 gtx).

I would disable the onboard graphics card completely if i could, but there is no option for it in the BIOS.

HELP, PLEASE ??? =S

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 (Motherboard)
Gigabyte GeForce 9800GTX+
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3,0 Ghz
8 Gig ram
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

is the a BIOS setting to set the PCIe card before the on-board?

also the Nvidia software should allow you to define which card is the primary one.

you disable the on-board video card in the Device Manager

KungMartin

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2012
yes in the bios it's set on pci-e

where can i set which should be primary ? (note: i can't open the nvidia control panel. when i click on it, it loads for half a sec, then stops, and nothing happens. the CP doesn't turn up)