Sign in with
Your question

On-board mSATA SSD 3 GB/s vs SATA 6 GB/s connector & wire for separate SSD-O

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2012 6:59:22 PM

Hello,
My ASUS P8Z77-V Premium motherboard came with an on-board 32 GB SSD on the mSATA connector that is built into the motherboard. I replaced it with a Crucial m4 128 GB 6Gb/s SSD thinking it would be best to run my OS and programs like MS Office off the mSATA built directly on the motherboard. Then I found out the motherboard mSATA connection is only 3GB/s. I have several other 6GB/s SATA III conntectors on my motherboard that I could connect a cable to and run other SSD's. Should I use the mSATA II connection on my motherboard for the OS and programs or use separate SATA III SSD's and run cables to the motherboard. And, can I put all these SSD's in a RAID 0? I already loaded Windows 7 on the 128 GB on-board mSATA II connection but that's it. I haven't gotten on-line to authenticate my windows 7. I just don't understand why ASUS has SATA II at 3GB/s when there are several SATA III at 6GB/s ports. Wouldn't it be better to use these other SATA III connectors at 6GB/s for the SRT caching a HDD instead of the mSATA II at 3 GB/s? Can a BIOS update bring the SATA II connector on the motherboard up to a SATA III at 6 GB/s? I hope all this makes sense. Thank you.
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 7:44:28 PM

the msata is designed for cacheing

u would be wise to use the OS SSD connected to a sata3 port on the mb
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:59:37 PM

Since I already loaded the OS to the mSATA II, what is the best way to remove the OS from the mSATA II so I can reload it on the SSD connected to the SATA III?
m
l
Related resources
a c 238 V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 12:32:14 AM

For the os, there is little difference in performance with a 3gb or a 6gb attachment. The OS mainly does small random i/o which does not get hurt by a 3gb attachment.

Still, I would load the os on a 128gb drive attached to a 6gb port.
The 6gb helps, but 32gb is not large enough for the "C" drive. Some things will want to go on the "C" drive.
When a SSD gets near full, it will greatly reduce it's performance.

I also would not bother with raid-0. I have tried it before, and benchmarks looked good, but there was no percieved performance difference. It is not worth the bother, even with the latest Z77 driver that passes on the trim command.

If you connect your 128gb ssd via a sata cable to a 6gb port, it should work.
If for some reason it does not, you can use a cloning program like acronis true image to clone the ssd.

Also, it is usually better to use a SSD to hold files directly vs. using one as a ssd cache.
It takes a unusual environment to use srt hard drive cacheing effectively.
m
l
September 25, 2012 1:43:05 AM

Thank you Geofelt. I like your answer. How about I put the os on a 256 GB SSD attached via a SATA 6 GB/s cable to a 6GB/s port? Would the procedure be to physically remove the mSATA 128 GB SSD from the motherboard, install the os on the 256 GB SSD and then remount the mSATA 128 GB SSD back on the motherboard and use Windows to format the 128 GB mSATA SSD?
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
September 25, 2012 3:43:15 AM

azintrepid said:
Thank you Geofelt. I like your answer. How about I put the os on a 256 GB SSD attached via a SATA 6 GB/s cable to a 6GB/s port? Would the procedure be to physically remove the mSATA 128 GB SSD from the motherboard, install the os on the 256 GB SSD and then remount the mSATA 128 GB SSD back on the motherboard and use Windows to format the 128 GB mSATA SSD?

Very good. I was not exactly knowing how many SSD's you hace, and how big they are.

I like the larger 250gb ssd for the os. Larger ssd's tend to be a bit faster.
Put it on any Intel 6gb port.

Make certain that the sata mode is set to AHCI(not raid or IDE) so you get windows trim support.
Install windows there, with no other drive attached. If there is another drive present, windows will put a recovery partition on it that you probably do not want.
Then, you should be able to attach your 128gb ssd anywhere you want. If you have 6gb ports available, prefer them first.
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:20:14 AM

geofelt said:
Very good. I was not exactly knowing how many SSD's you hace, and how big they are.

I like the larger 250gb ssd for the os. Larger ssd's tend to be a bit faster.
Put it on any Intel 6gb port.

Make certain that the sata mode is set to AHCI(not raid or IDE) so you get windows trim support.
Install windows there, with no other drive attached. If there is another drive present, windows will put a recovery partition on it that you probably do not want.
Then, you should be able to attach your 128gb ssd anywhere you want. If you have 6gb ports available, prefer them first.

Ok. Thank you. I think I am good to go now. Yes, the connectors are set to AHCI by default. Since the 128 GB mSATA SSD is a mini SSD I think I'll need to get the SATA to mini SATA adapter enclosure for $28 to be able to use that 128 GB mini SATA SSD? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Oh well, not a problem. I kind of expected extra expense since it is my first build.
m
l
!