Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are soundcards hard to install?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 7, 2013 5:58:42 PM

Harlo :o !

I built a desktop (with a lot of help from my computer friends), its up and running awesomely. Is a soundcard easy to install? I've been having trouble finding sound drivers right now (many I still can't find but things say they are out of date) and I'm worried about getting a soundcard.
February 7, 2013 6:11:39 PM

vmartelle said:
Harlo :o !

I built a desktop (with a lot of help from my computer friends), its up and running awesomely. Is a soundcard easy to install? I've been having trouble finding sound drivers right now (many I still can't find but things say they are out of date) and I'm worried about getting a soundcard.


When you say sound drivers are you referring to your onboard drivers ? And no, its the same as installing a graphics card. If you dont know how to install that then here's a video on how to do so. Installing a Video/Sound card is probably the easiest to thing to do in a build. Mounting HDD's is probably hard than doing it. LOL. You shouldn't worry about anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyioQyrsIas
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 6:12:54 PM

Soundcards are not difficult to install at all. Just as easy as installing RAM, simply plug the card into the slot. Before purchasing one, ensure it is compatible with your current version of your operating system.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 7, 2013 6:19:20 PM

Does it have its own ports for headphones and such? Or does the motherboard now get its sound from the soundcard instead?
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 6:32:32 PM

Sound cards will take over all responsibility of distributing sound, so it will have headphone jack, mic jack, and speaker jacks. Also, depending on the quality of the soundcard, it may be equipped with surround sound speaker jacks, instead of the typicall 2.1 desktop speaker configuration.
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 6:54:02 PM

T_T said:
Sound cards will take over all responsibility of distributing sound, so it will have headphone jack, mic jack, and speaker jacks. Also, depending on the quality of the soundcard, it may be equipped with surround sound speaker jacks, instead of the typicall 2.1 desktop speaker configuration.


Odd. Because I know the motherboard does that - im kinda confused because then I would have to take the motherboard out and such and reposition everything?
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 6:56:18 PM

vmartelle said:
Odd. Because I know the motherboard does that - im kinda confused because then I would have to take the motherboard out and such and reposition everything?


No, you dont have to take the motherboard out at all. You should be able to see you're motherboard and just pop it into the PCI slot or whatever slot your sound card is going to use.
m
0
l
!