Can a 7850 run on a 480 watt arctic psu?

Solution

If you're sticking with the XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition FX785ACNL4 then the Corsair Builder Series CX430 (SKU# 75-001666 / CP-9020046) is still more than sufficient for your system.

Hi - realhardtech suggests a quality 450w psu for a sys with
one 7850 and that has some headroom built in.
As long as your psu delivers close to it's rated power
you are fine.

What make/model is your PSU?

Tom

What is the Arctic Power Supply 480W +12V rail's maximum continuous current rating?

If it's at least 23 Amps or more then it should be able to handle it. You will probably have to use a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express adapter cable because it's doubtful that PSU has a 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

Hi - dbl check that the 16a is directly under the +12v,
if it is, I'm sorry to tell you(i'm sure ko888 will also) that psu
is insufficient for that gpu. You need a lot more +12v amps.

Tom

It's one of those older and/or "poor quality" psu's that pump up their
total watt rating on the +3.3 & +5v rails.

That looks like it's an old power supply design where more than 50% of the PSU's capacity is generated on the +3.3V and +5V rails.

The +12V rail only has 16 Amps which doesn't meet the minimum requirements. You need at least 23 Amps or more.

For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

First determine how many 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors your Radeon HD 7850 card needs. Or at least specify which Radeon HD 7850 cards you are considering.

Hi - what country are you in? And, how much can you spend on a PSU?

I'll try n find you some to choose from if you post your info.

Tom

Your 7850 should need only 1 6pin pci-e connector, I might search
for one with 2 tho.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 (SKU# 75-001666 / CP-9020046), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Rreference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

If you have a non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card that requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors you'll have to move up to the Corsair Builder Series CX500 (SKU# 75-001667 / CP-9020047) model that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and has two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Hi Yeung - ko888 recommended exactly what I would also given your
$50 budget. If you can avoid oem units I would. Very often they
don't include a power cord, and/or cables aren't fully sleeved.
Also, very often the warranty is very short or no warranty at all.

So, go with the cx500 ko linked, best best right now at $50.
The Sapphire 2g 7850 gpu you are considering does require
2 6pin connectors.

Yes - it will req the 500w cx500. No, the DVI & dosplay port are not what
we are talking about. The pci-e connectors are the power connectors that
run from the gpu to the psu. That Sapphire card requires two, the
cx430 supplies only one, you need the cx500.

Tom

I went to sys requirements for that Sapphire model # you linked

This diff one - the XFX core requires only 1 6 pin power connector.

SAPPHIRE HD 7850 1GB GDDR5
860 MHz Core Clock

1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.

Click on System Requirements here:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1160&pid=1674&psn=&lid=1&leg=0#

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 (SKU# 75-001666 / CP-9020046) is more than sufficient for your system.

LOL - I was looking at the Sapphire 2g from his other post (on gpu forum),actually assumed
he would go to 2g, based on the discussion