Hello. I just ordered all the parts for a new PC. I put them together, connected all the wires, etc and I have a few problems I have a hard time diagnosing. See a list of the components I was using at the bottom.
Everything seemed to be working fine and dandy, I installed windows 7 and started installing the various drivers for the motherboard and components. After I installed the VGA drivers and restarted, Windows would log on and the screen would go on standby, not receiving any image. I tried installing newer drivers and it would work on and off. Sometimes I would be able to log on, most of the time I won't be. Safe mode/no vga drivers works. Whenever I was able to get an image, the drivers would crash (windows reported the vga driver crashed) or the computer would just reset.
Naturally, I thought this was a graphics card issue, so I pulled out my old GeForce 8800 GT and put it in. It worked great for a while. I shut off the computer and went about my business. Came back later and POST check failed with a VGA failure. I restarted multiple times, reproducing it 100% of the time - POST would fail every time.
Then I noticed one of the chassis fans was not working. I have 2 fans plugged in CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN4. CHA_FAN1 was working fine, but CHA_FAN4 was not spinning, however, the light was on (!!). I swapped the cables from CHA_FAN1 to CHA_FAN4 and both started to work (!!!!!).
I replaced the old 8800 GT with the new 570 GT, played around with the cables from the PSU, started the computer and loaded into windows no problems. Ran 3dMark 11, got expected scores for the card. After 30 minutes, the computer reset.
I also updated the BIOS to the latest version and set everything on defaults so the mobo is not overclocking components.
Another thing (maybe unrelated). The CPU fan refused to work right off the bat. I assumed I got a lemon and replaced it right away with a spare one I had and it's worked ever since.
So - what is it? Graphics card? PSU? Mobo? User error??
1) MSI GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) N570GTX Twin Frozr II Video Card
2) Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory
3) SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit
4) Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 750W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active-PFC Power Supply
5) Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Computer Case
6) Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
7) ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard