Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2012 10:39:28 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/iqfR

This current configuration is a little over $1500 after taxes.

I'm trying to get a good build for gaming, recording, streaming, and video editing.

Any thoughts on the parts?

More about : 1500 gaming

September 24, 2012 11:05:57 PM

you need an optical drive, and a gigabyte ud3h would be a better motherboard for the price
Related resources
September 25, 2012 12:25:49 AM

computernoob29 said:
you need an optical drive, and a gigabyte ud3h would be a better motherboard for the price

I'll just use a spare optical drive to install Windows and then never use it again.

I read some reviews of that board on newegg and people were saying the USB ports weren't working. Is this still an issue?
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 10:46:18 AM

nmunro said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/iqfR

This current configuration is a little over $1500 after taxes.

I'm trying to get a good build for gaming, recording, streaming, and video editing.

Any thoughts on the parts?

You don't mention your monitor resolution, but if it's 1920x1080, you gain very little, with GTX680, over a good 670, to justify the extra cost, unless you are planning on getting 2nd, in SLi, to run a 3 monitor "surround vision" set-up. In that case, your power supply would be a bit light, if you want scope to overclock. You should use low profile RAM, to avoid a clash with cooler.
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 11:32:01 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/iuuw

Dropped the Zalman and replaced it with Hyper 212 EVO.
The ASRock z77 Extreme4 should do fine with your setup. There's a $40 MIR.
That HDD is kinda bad; even though it's probably just for storage, 5400RPM is no longer recommended. I swapped it with a better one: 64mb cache, SATAIII, 7200RPM for the same price. o_o
I also put a cheaper and more cost-efficient SSD.
+1 on what malbluff said about the GPU and RAM.
Changed the PSU to 700w, if ever you plan on SLI.
With all that you saved enough for dual 670s if you want. Which is better imo.
September 25, 2012 7:28:20 PM

malbluff said:
You don't mention your monitor resolution, but if it's 1920x1080, you gain very little, with GTX680, over a good 670, to justify the extra cost, unless you are planning on getting 2nd, in SLi, to run a 3 monitor "surround vision" set-up. In that case, your power supply would be a bit light, if you want scope to overclock. You should use low profile RAM, to avoid a clash with cooler.

I have a BenQ XL2420T. I'm just trying to get consistent 120 FPS.

How likely is the RAM to be an issue with that cooler?
September 25, 2012 7:30:27 PM

excella1221 said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/iuuw

Dropped the Zalman and replaced it with Hyper 212 EVO.
The ASRock z77 Extreme4 should do fine with your setup. There's a $40 MIR.
That HDD is kinda bad; even though it's probably just for storage, 5400RPM is no longer recommended. I swapped it with a better one: 64mb cache, SATAIII, 7200RPM for the same price. o_o
I also put a cheaper and more cost-efficient SSD.
+1 on what malbluff said about the GPU and RAM.
Changed the PSU to 700w, if ever you plan on SLI.
With all that you saved enough for dual 670s if you want. Which is better imo.

I have an inexplicable prejudice against ASRock. I want an 80+ gold, fully modular PSU.

I like the Zalman. I have a Corsair 650D with a giant side window, so I want a cooler that looks good.
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 7:49:15 PM

If you don't want ASRock, and prepared to pay a bit for quality, go with Asus P8Z77. Which one of several depends on what features/outputs you want. For PSU, if you want top quality Gold, Seasonic X series. For neat looking cooling, there's always liquid coolers, if you are happy with them.
September 25, 2012 7:53:14 PM

malbluff said:
If you don't want ASRock, and prepared to pay a bit for quality, go with Asus P8Z77. Which one of several depends on what features/outputs you want. For PSU, if you want top quality Gold, Seasonic X series. For neat looking cooling, there's always liquid coolers, if you are happy with them.

I was going to get SeaSonic X660 80+ Gold for $130 from Canada Computers.

Is there something bad about that Zalman cooler?

I have to move every 4 months, would liquid cooling cause issues if I have to move a lot?

What's a good water cooler?
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 8:26:03 PM

Nothing really wrong with Zalman. The best air coolers are usually the ugliest, heaviest ones. Never used them, myself, but understand Phanteks are not bad, and look OK. The Corsair H100 liquid cooler goes nicely, in that case. The only slight drawback with them, is the fans are a bit noisy if working hard. You can get quieter fans, if it's an issue. Moving a case around is always a question of care. A heavy air cooler, hung from a mobo, bouncing up and down, as case is carried around, is enough to give nightmares, anyway.
September 25, 2012 8:35:53 PM

malbluff said:
Nothing really wrong with Zalman. The best air coolers are usually the ugliest, heaviest ones. Never used them, myself, but understand Phanteks are not bad, and look OK. The Corsair H100 liquid cooler goes nicely, in that case. The only slight drawback with them, is the fans are a bit noisy if working hard. You can get quieter fans, if it's an issue. Moving a case around is always a question of care. A heavy air cooler, hung from a mobo, bouncing up and down, as case is carried around, is enough to give nightmares, anyway.

So would I be better off to get one of those closed loop water coolers?

Something like the H60?

I usually put my PC back in the box that the case came in with the foam and everything, when I move it.
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 8:47:00 PM

H60 is slightly expensive way to get modest overclock, plus comments re fan noise apply even more to H60, as fan tends to be working harder. If a liquid cooler is well installed, I would think there's less risk, in moving, than heavy air cooler, certainly no more. I would think, if you only want modest overclock, something like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is ideal. If you want the ability for more significant OC, then think about H100.
September 25, 2012 10:07:35 PM

malbluff said:
H60 is slightly expensive way to get modest overclock, plus comments re fan noise apply even more to H60, as fan tends to be working harder. If a liquid cooler is well installed, I would think there's less risk, in moving, than heavy air cooler, certainly no more. I would think, if you only want modest overclock, something like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is ideal. If you want the ability for more significant OC, then think about H100.

I looked at the highest rated coolers on PC part picker and the Zalman 9900 is the only one on that list the I don't think is horrendously ugly.

Giant side window, need stuff that glows blue.
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2012 10:34:39 PM

The only real critism, I can see for Zalman, apart from being fiddly to instal, is that it's very noisy, at high load. It's an old style heat exchanger, so fan has to work hard. More up to date heat exchangers are more efficiencient, so less airflow req'd, so tend to be quieter, but perhaps uglier.
September 26, 2012 1:31:29 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/irKP

Going to order this in a few minutes unless anyone thinks there's any significant changes I should make besides an ugly cooler?
September 26, 2012 1:52:59 AM

nmunro said:
I have an inexplicable prejudice against ASRock. I want an 80+ gold, fully modular PSU.

You wont see a difference between 80+ Bronze and 80+ Gold, until you recieve your power bill. Even then, it wont make a significant difference.
!