Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Gaming PC Build $800-$1000ish

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2012 11:02:55 PM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a little while looking at peoples' builds but I figured it would be best to just ask myself. I've pretty much got the parts chosen, but I'm not sure if there are better options.

Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next year (end summer 2013) and can start purchasing some parts as they go on sale .

Budget Range: Total cost in the $800 to $1000 range. Not a problem if it goes a bit higher for significant quality boost.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, school work (web browsing, microsoft office)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): Brand new build, need everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No I don't think so.

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Micro Center preferred as I have one near my house, but lower prices are preferred over it.
Location (City, State/Region, Country): Denver, Colorado, United States

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel CPU strongly preferred, indifferent over everything else.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe Not sure exactly what it is :??: 

Your Monitor Resolution: Need a new monitor.

Additional Comments: Quieter is preferred. Will be playing games such as Minecraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current laptop is crap and I need something to be able to game on other than my X-Box 360

My Current Proposed Setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ir4A

Need a case for sure, something that looks nice and works, as I don't think they get too expensive.
I don't know if I need a dedicated sound card or not.
I think I have a license of Windows 7 laying around somewhere
The monitor is just one that was a decent size with good ratings that was fairly cheap, open to suggestions.
Keyboard and mouse i will be buying from Razer

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and help me out build the best PC I can.

-Shaw

September 24, 2012 11:07:51 PM

xShaw said:
Hello everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a little while looking at peoples' builds but I figured it would be best to just ask myself. I've pretty much got the parts chosen, but I'm not sure if there are better options.

Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next year (end summer 2013) and can start purchasing some parts as they go on sale .

Budget Range: Total cost in the $800 to $1000 range. Not a problem if it goes a bit higher for significant quality boost.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, school work (web browsing, microsoft office)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): Brand new build, need everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No I don't think so.

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Micro Center preferred as I have one near my house, but lower prices are preferred over it.
Location (City, State/Region, Country): Denver, Colorado, United States

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel CPU strongly preferred, indifferent over everything else.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe Not sure exactly what it is :??: 

Your Monitor Resolution: Need a new monitor.

Additional Comments: Quieter is preferred. Will be playing games such as Minecraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current laptop is crap and I need something to be able to game on other than my X-Box 360

My Current Proposed Setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ir4A

Need a case for sure, something that looks nice and works, as I don't think they get too expensive.
I don't know if I need a dedicated sound card or not.
I think I have a license of Windows 7 laying around somewhere
The monitor is just one that was a decent size with good ratings that was fairly cheap, open to suggestions.
Keyboard and mouse i will be buying from Razer

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and help me out build the best PC I can.

-Shaw

Never purchase your parts a little at a time if you can help it. Just put that money away until your read to purchase it all at once. Prices change, tech changes, etc... Haswell is due out this spring.
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:28:29 PM

^+1

Also, prices will drop, keep in mind within 5 months the 7850 and 7870 went from about $250/$350 dropped to $180/$250 respectively.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2012 12:36:04 AM

Thanks for the advice on buying all at once. Never really thought about that. Depending on money situations, I may be able to purchase this build by the end of the year. Any parts I should switch out or any reccomended cases I should look into?
m
l

Best solution

September 25, 2012 1:04:48 AM

Check out my $1000 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module14731235...
You'd be pretty much set.

The $850 on my site would also work as well. Case wise the Corsair 300R/400R both are nice.
September 28, 2012 9:34:04 PM

Best answer selected by xshaw.
m
l
!