Can I use the PCIe slot on my Acer Aspire M3920?

bhonkers

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Hello,

The reason I ask is that I've tried two PCIe cards and both of them aren't detected by windows. The fan on the cards runs but that's about it. I get no output from the vga and can't install drivers as the needed hardware is not detected.

The BIOS is very limited and I can't seem to find anything that implies switching between the onboard GPU and the PCIe slot. I've tried disabling the onboard GPU in device manager but it still doesn't detect the cards.

Am I missing something here?

PSU is 400W
6 pin connector is attached
card is nvidia 8600GTS

Do you have another PC to try the video card in? With most mainboard the onboard video will auto disable with the presence of a dedicated graphics card. So if you have the PCI-E power plugged in and still get no video I would lean tords a bad card.

bhonkers

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012

I would have to use the same PSU on another tower I have but since I have tried two cards of the same make and both have not been detected then I'm thinking it's not the card.

I noticed that the fan is powered up independent of the PCI-e cable being attached so it must be getting power from the MB.