Sign in with
Your question

3 Monitors won't won't work with Eyefinity, only two.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2012 1:17:26 AM

Hello, I think this has been posted but I really need to know!
Ok, so I have 3 monitors hooked up to my graphics card which is a ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7870 and has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 Mini Display Ports, I have one screen hooked up HDMI to HDMI and the other two hooked up HDMI to Mini Display Port. It will show on eyefinty that all three screens are detected, but the third one on my right wont show anything on it and wont be identified. Please help!
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:27:51 AM

are you using an active display port?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:33:27 AM

yea like dude is saying, possible need an active dongle adapter. Think the problem might be the two of the ports on the gpu are sharing the same display processor and thus can’t be used at the same time unless you have additional power.

Here is a vid of what you may need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1UDfKohuI
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:37:10 AM

Just for clarification, the 3rd monitor must use the mini display port. it has to be connected to a monitor that directly uses a mini display port to mini display port connection or you have to have an active display port which changes the mini display port to DVI
August 5, 2012 1:40:28 AM

dudewitbow said:
are you using an active display port?

How do I know if I'm using an active display port. Sorry, I kow what I'm doing to a certain extent.
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:45:52 AM

nickoli22 said:
How do I know if I'm using an active display port. Sorry, I kow what I'm doing to a certain extent.

its an addon accessory that allows use of eyefinity if one needs to plug it into a DVI connection. the 3rd screen HAS to come from an active display adapter if you are not using a monitor that has native mini display port to mini display port.
August 5, 2012 1:47:52 AM

dudewitbow said:
Just for clarification, the 3rd monitor must use the mini display port. it has to be connected to a monitor that directly uses a mini display port to mini display port connection or you have to have an active display port which changes the mini display port to DVI

Oh, so I dont have a monitor which directly uses mini display port, but I have it so its a mini display port to hdmi with the hdmi plugged into the monitor itself. I have this set up for two of the monitors. the third one had hdmi to hdmi, the hdmi to hdmi one and the one of the mini display port to hdmi ones are working. So like what you said mini display port to DVI does it work the same with mini display to HDMI?
August 5, 2012 1:48:34 AM

Sorry, Im just quoting later posts then coming back to see a new one. Ok, so does this mean, I would need a HDMI to DVI cord or a DVI to DVI cause my monitor does have DVI on it, so then I have 1 HDMI, 1 MDP, and 1 DVI going into all the seperate monitors?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:52:49 AM

take look at the vid i posted, itll give you some idea
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 1:53:32 AM

after googling it, it seems it maybe impossible(i dont know myself) to utilize 3 hdmi connections for the screens. that 3rd screen must be Mini Display to DVI(through active display connector) or Mini Display to Mini Display
August 5, 2012 2:03:52 AM

dudewitbow said:
after googling it, it seems it maybe impossible(i dont know myself) to utilize 3 hdmi connections for the screens. that 3rd screen must be Mini Display to DVI(through active display connector) or Mini Display to Mini Display

Ok, so I can't have all three hooked up to the monitor with HDMI. Would a DVI to DVI cord work as well or should I do mini display to dvi?
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 2:22:52 AM

nickoli22 said:
Ok, so I can't have all three hooked up to the monitor with HDMI. Would a DVI to DVI cord work as well or should I do mini display to dvi?

regardless on outcome, i would believe the 3rd screen no matter what has to use mini display to dvi or mini display to mini display. If you used the DVI to DVI, then the other mini display to hdmi would become the 3rd monitor.
August 5, 2012 2:56:32 AM

dudewitbow said:
regardless on outcome, i would believe the 3rd screen no matter what has to use mini display to dvi or mini display to mini display. If you used the DVI to DVI, then the other mini display to hdmi would become the 3rd monitor.

Does that matter? Couldn't I just replace the screens in the correct order? Also, what i the dvi to mini display active converter? Just want to get some final questions in.
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2012 3:02:32 AM

nickoli22 said:
Does that matter? Couldn't I just replace the screens in the correct order? Also, what i the dvi to mini display active converter? Just want to get some final questions in.

I'm not 100% on the details on what it does fully, but it allows the monitor(and computer) to know that the screen is its own separate screen from the other two and well, its essentially necessary for Eyefinity unless you have a mini display port monitor.
!