Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Fan Running at 6500 RPM

Last response: in Components
Share
February 8, 2013 1:58:05 AM

A few minutes ago my cpu fan was running at 6500 RPM. I know this isn't normal, at least for me. This happened because I forgot to turn my case fans up before playing battlefield 3. I couldn't hear the jet engine next to me with my headphones on, but I felt the earth quake this thing was making when my foot touched my computer desk and the heat emitting from case. My question is, is it safe for the cpu fan to run this fast? I want to know just in case I make this mistake again and don't catch it so quick. Thanks for the help!
February 8, 2013 2:08:15 AM

Most new CPUs have thermal protection. So they'll under clock themselves, or just turn off if they get too hot.

As for the fan itself, I it won't spin any faster than the maximum speed it was designed for, regardless of how hot it gets.
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 2:45:52 AM

Make sure you leave the brakes on though, because any faster and your pc will fly away.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
February 8, 2013 2:51:28 AM

Reinstall your CPU cooler.
m
0
l
September 6, 2013 3:50:25 PM

That's completely normal for a FX Series Stock Fan. They suck, I just recently replaced mine with a Hyper 212 EVO and the difference is just, wow.
m
0
l
December 9, 2013 6:03:51 AM

jaytechgaming said:
That's completely normal for a FX Series Stock Fan. They suck, I just recently replaced mine with a Hyper 212 EVO and the difference is just, wow.


can u pls tell what was real noticable diffrence
i bought a 8350 and fan is loud @5000rpm while gaming
pls share some stats or sum figures rpm temps etc with ur hyper 212
m
0
l
a c 136 à CPUs
December 9, 2013 11:43:25 AM

Yeah, AMD stock coolers are something else. ~6000 RPM is the higher end for their speeds; as long as it's keeping your computer cool, it's all good.

I was tired of the noise, so I invested in an aftermarket cooler. (ETS-T40-TB). Even a 120mm fan at 1800 speed is far quieter.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 6:35:32 AM

Mohit Valecha said:
jaytechgaming said:
That's completely normal for a FX Series Stock Fan. They suck, I just recently replaced mine with a Hyper 212 EVO and the difference is just, wow.


can u pls tell what was real noticable diffrence
i bought a 8350 and fan is loud @5000rpm while gaming
pls share some stats or sum figures rpm temps etc with ur hyper 212


Also keep in mind that I attached a second fan to my heatsinks for more cooling.
Sorry for not getting back with you earlier. Here are some stats. There we're read by the Asus AiSuite II.
When at desktop- 22C - 25C
When gaming - depending on game. By playing crysis 2 I managed to get it up to 40C. So usually around mid 30s and low 40s. Video editing yields a higher result of more around the mid to high 40s.
These are a stock clocks. I found that I can easily OC to 4 Ghz by just adjusting clock multiplier. So no more heat is added :D 
m
0
l
a c 136 à CPUs
December 29, 2013 8:39:51 AM

There's probably more heat, but just not as much as if you had to up the voltage.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 9:56:50 AM

Calculatron said:
There's probably more heat, but just not as much as if you had to up the voltage.


When I tested I could not find any difference in the heat output. So if there is any more heat it is very minimal.
m
0
l
!