Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BF3 crossfire 7970 low fps and crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2012 6:30:17 AM

So I've been trying to fix this problem all day, it started out today with bf3 playing just fine ultra solid 60 fps with 50-70% gpu usage across all maps for several hours then at one point I had a very bad crash, sound freaked out and everything screen static whole pc froze. I rebooted and the same thing happens within a minute or two of any map on any server. this was on 12.6 so i upgraded to 12.7 beta which just caused my fps to drop into the 40s with gpu usage at 100% and still crashed within a couple minutes. at one point it didnt freeze the computer and i was able to read the error message saying something along the lines of "Direct X has encountered an unrecoverable error E_OUTOFMEMORY" followed by radeon 7900 series and make sure your gfx card has atleast 512mb vram (they both have 3 and neither are defective i have tested them). so i did some research which led me to disabling my page file to solve that error, which it did, but was in 30fps on both 12.6 and 12.7b with full usage. after that i did some more research and decided to try a tool called ATIMAN Uninstaller to get rid of all traces of AMDs drivers so i ran the latest version of that (seemed very thorough) and then re-installed the 12.6 drivers and re-enabled page file. now i just joined a lobby on gulf of oman to be greeted by dips into the 40s and 50s (gpu usage 50-60%) and a glorious crash a few seconds later :( 

i am thinking a fresh install of windows 7 may be my only option left 'sigh' unless any one else has some ideas
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 6:55:37 AM

Have you connected crossfire bridge with both the GPU's.
Score
August 5, 2012 6:58:47 AM

xtreme5 said:
Have you connected crossfire bridge with both the GPU's.

yes and i have swapped it out a couple times so ik it works
Score
Related resources
August 5, 2012 12:56:53 PM

hmm maybe i am not correct but could it be your psu? what do you have for psu? i mean not enough power can manifest in different messages. i am planning for my new rig to get 1k psu just to be sure cause i want to run 2x 7970 or 2x 7990 when they come.
Score
August 5, 2012 1:09:10 PM

probably u went with a shabby psu! two 7970 in cf draw on maximum load up to 500w
so... u should probably get 700w or more reccomended! for future upgrades.
Score
August 5, 2012 4:17:36 PM

PSU is ABS Majesty 1100 watt. Worked fine with 6970 crossfire and 6970 has same TDP as 7970.

I just used Driver Sweeper to uninstall all AMD drivers and then reinstall (I also uninstalled NVIDIA becuase I tested a GTX 560 on my rig once) but now I get an error when I try to open CCC saying CLI.implementation cannot be found no matter what version of drivers. If I don't get that error message than CCC won't even open no matter what I try
Score
August 5, 2012 6:43:05 PM

Ok so i tried the above steps and removed all drivers from AMD and NVIDIA then reinstalled 12.6 i went and played caspian border with no crashes and low fps again then found out i hadnt installed CAPs so i reinstalled those and then OC both cards. i now have a weird glitch in CCC where when i go to click on Performance>AMD OverDrive it comes up with the agreement thing and I press accept and it just takes me to the home tab and removes the OverDrive tab completely.
anyway so i played caspian border again with no fps dips but started horribly artifacting after a few seconds. quit the game and removed OC then joined operation firestorm and played for over an hour with no crashes and a few fps dips into the 50s. i was pretty satisfied so i joined gulf of oman (i find it to be the most graphics intense) and fps dipped to 40s anytime i had a full view of the map. crashed within a minute of joining

EDIT: I have literally been trying to fix this for two days almost non stop now should i just re-install windows? i feel like i have exhausted all my options
Score
August 6, 2012 5:20:51 AM

BigMack70 said:
:( 

If you can, reinstalling Windows might be the best option.

Welp I re-installed windows :(  and installed 12.6 with latest CAPs
No more crashes :) 

BUT I still have fps dips! I do not think it a graphics problem cuz when I played on gulf of Oman with full 64 server it dipped to high forties with 70% GPU usage. But when I played it with 0 people empty server; 60 fps constant.

Sounds like CPU problem to me? But idk how that is possible with an i7 3770...
Should I try disable hyper threading or page file or something?
Score
August 6, 2012 6:17:35 PM

BigMack70 said:
I have heard some people say that disabling HT helped their BF3 performance, so I guess you could try that.

You could always try overclocking your CPU to 4 GHz or so and see if it helps. Kinda weird though that a 3770k wouldn't be able to keep your GPUs at higher usage...

You could always try disabling vsync as well (if you have it enabled), as that may help too.

Ok so I think I fixed it, not 100% sure how though lol. I disabled HT and then rebooted and got same performance so I went back into BIOS and re-enabled it. Then bumped up the CPU bus speed from 100:100 to 100:133 (don't really know what that means), OC the cpu from 3.4GHz (3.9 Turbo) to 3.5GHz (4.3 Turbo), disabled virtualization for CPU (no idea...), disabled some power saving options and rebooted.

Now fps won't even touch 59 for several hours of playing. Except once game it dipped to 57 but I am pretty sure that was just lag.
Score
August 6, 2012 11:13:57 PM

interesting to know. anyway it could be possible your Bottleneck is now the main harddrive with the games and/or system. i mean hdd could just be too defragmented? maybe you should invest into synchronious ssd drive 128gb and use it as system/program files (50gb/78gb).

uff 2x 7970 @1125MHz and i3770 and 16gb ram is not enough ... thats rough. i mean, seems my decision to wait 8-9 months for haswell was right, and by then maybe 7990 will drop also a little on price
Score
August 6, 2012 11:26:10 PM

revro said:
interesting to know. anyway it could be possible your Bottleneck is now the main harddrive with the games and/or system. i mean hdd could just be too defragmented? maybe you should invest into synchronious ssd drive 128gb and use it as system/program files (50gb/78gb).

uff 2x 7970 @1125MHz and i3770 and 16gb ram is not enough ... thats rough. i mean, seems my decision to wait 8-9 months for haswell was right, and by then maybe 7990 will drop also a little on price

Yeah I am thinking maybe hard drive problem at this point. But idk I didn't have bottleneck issues with two 6970s. And plus my hard drive is pretty fast for a disk, 110Mb/s read and like 70 write.

Weird though seems to only have this problem on bf3. My system is an absolute beast on any and every other game. Consistent 110-170 fps on Metro 2033 lol
Score
August 6, 2012 11:37:55 PM

also 3770 in gaming with HT enabled is problem as you have 8 cores/threads and they share 8mb l2 cache, while i3570 has 4 cores that share 6mb cache. so switching off HT you get 2mb cache per core. also is disk defragmented? i mean you could have 50gb of data that is totaly unfragmented and after it 100gb of empty space, so when you test you get great numbers tough program files are unfragmented. also it could be that the ram on you cards was not OCed or is too low, so gpu is faster than ram? but i am no expert on overclocking, i never overclock :) 
Score
August 12, 2012 3:39:27 AM

have you tried to turn off HT and use just 4 cores with now more cache available to them as just 8 threads before?

thank you
Score
August 12, 2012 7:12:21 PM

revro said:
have you tried to turn off HT and use just 4 cores with now more cache available to them as just 8 threads before?

thank you

Yeah tried it multiple times. Made no difference
Score
August 12, 2012 9:01:18 PM

so it seems my decision to wait for haswell is right. maybe if you had 2011 motherboard you would have enough firepower to not get bottleneck
Score
August 12, 2012 11:47:29 PM

revro said:
so it seems my decision to wait for haswell is right. maybe if you had 2011 motherboard you would have enough firepower to not get bottleneck

I ordered a 3770K should be here tomorrow maybe. Gonna OC that hopefully to 4.6 and see if it does the trick. I'll comment back here with results.
Score
August 20, 2012 4:48:21 AM

So I got the new 3770K with Noctua NH-D14 and at first overclocked it to 4.7GHz stable. Didn't really notice any difference, I got 58 fps on gulf and on my 3770 I was getting about 57. On Caspian border high 50s as well. Then a friend recommend to take it down to 4.5 for stability reasons. Now getting a min of low 60s on gulf, ONCE dropped to 59 for a split second then regained to 63. On Caspian border I got a staggering minimum fps increase from 57 to 77 :)  :) 

I also have been told several times now that there is really no gaming computer that can hold bf3 at constant 60 on back to karkand at least. No matter how much graphics power you have it won't really matter because of the CPU not being powerful enough. I am pretty sure the LGA 2011 CPUs have the same gaming power as the i7 anyway, and the i5 also has the same gaming power as an i7 soo... Not sure how much of that is 100% true but... Most people posting minimum fps online are from the ground not at the top of the tower on gulf of Oman (most CPU intense spot I have found). I encourage you all to go up there and check it out, you may be surprised ;) 
Score
August 30, 2012 1:06:19 AM

Best answer selected by iyzik.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:54:29 PM

what monitors you use and do you use only one?

thank you
revro
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:44:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!