Find a computer behind a router without port forwarding?

Kurt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

I have several computers connected via router and to the internet. My laptop
is connected to the router IP address 192.168.0.8 I also set port forwarding
for port 80 to that IP address. My Internet IP address is 61.3.23.4

When I connect to a website hosted on my laptop all I have to type into a
web browser is http://61.3.23.4 Because my router opens port 80 to the IP
address of my laptop I can connect to the laptop from anywhere in the world.

I am wondering if there is a different way to connect. Maybe by telling the
router to open port 80 to all IP addresses assigned to all computers
connected. To do this, I figured I would need to type into the web browser
both IP addesses. Internet and local. Something like :
http://61.3.23.4:192.168.0.8
Unfortunately this does not work. The reason why I want this to work is
because a router seemingly only allows one IP address to forward port 80 to.
(If there are routers that do not have this limitation what would the web
address look like?). I would like to be able to connect to my other machine
as well without having to re-configure the router every time. Is there a way
to do this?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Ken

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

why not open your second web server on a different port (eg. port 81) and
forward this port to the second machine ?
Chris

"Kurt" <kurt@kurtprasse.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
BDDD431A.BDB9%kurt@kurtprasse.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have several computers connected via router and to the internet. My
> laptop
> is connected to the router IP address 192.168.0.8 I also set port
> forwarding
> for port 80 to that IP address. My Internet IP address is 61.3.23.4
>
> When I connect to a website hosted on my laptop all I have to type into a
> web browser is http://61.3.23.4 Because my router opens port 80 to the IP
> address of my laptop I can connect to the laptop from anywhere in the
> world.
>
> I am wondering if there is a different way to connect. Maybe by telling
> the
> router to open port 80 to all IP addresses assigned to all computers
> connected. To do this, I figured I would need to type into the web browser
> both IP addesses. Internet and local. Something like :
> http://61.3.23.4:192.168.0.8
> Unfortunately this does not work. The reason why I want this to work is
> because a router seemingly only allows one IP address to forward port 80
> to.
> (If there are routers that do not have this limitation what would the web
> address look like?). I would like to be able to connect to my other
> machine
> as well without having to re-configure the router every time. Is there a
> way
> to do this?
>
> Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
>
> Ken

Kurt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure if this would work. If I type in
the IP address from a remote computer, which of my two machines would come
up?

Thank you

Ken

On 12/11/04 11:36 AM, in article 41bb4c3b$0$32405$636a15ce@news.free.fr,
"Christian Tschopp" <christian.tschopp@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> why not open your second web server on a different port (eg. port 81) and
> forward this port to the second machine ?
> Chris
>

> "Kurt" <kurt@kurtprasse.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> BDDD431A.BDB9%kurt@kurtprasse.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have several computers connected via router and to the internet. My
>> laptop
>> is connected to the router IP address 192.168.0.8 I also set port
>> forwarding
>> for port 80 to that IP address. My Internet IP address is 61.3.23.4
>>
>> When I connect to a website hosted on my laptop all I have to type into a
>> web browser is http://61.3.23.4 Because my router opens port 80 to the IP
>> address of my laptop I can connect to the laptop from anywhere in the
>> world.
>>
>> I am wondering if there is a different way to connect. Maybe by telling
>> the
>> router to open port 80 to all IP addresses assigned to all computers
>> connected. To do this, I figured I would need to type into the web browser
>> both IP addesses. Internet and local. Something like :
>> http://61.3.23.4:192.168.0.8
>> Unfortunately this does not work. The reason why I want this to work is
>> because a router seemingly only allows one IP address to forward port 80
>> to.
>> (If there are routers that do not have this limitation what would the web
>> address look like?). I would like to be able to connect to my other
>> machine
>> as well without having to re-configure the router every time. Is there a
>> way
>> to do this?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
>>
>> Ken

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

test