Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Must be having a senior moment but as I recall, in the past I could resize
the Quick Launch toolbar and add more icons and it would stay that size even
after rebooting (18 icons - small). Something has changed and I can't
figure out what but I can add icons and move the separator bar as needed so
the icons all show but after rebooting, some of the icons are hidden. Have
to click on the >> symbol to show the extra icons.

Maybe this is normal operation and I've just passed the magic number of
icons it will show and then it resets itself. I even tried locking the
toolbar but that had no effect on keeping all the icons showing. Not a big
deal but is there a registry setting that I perhaps inadvertently changed
that would do this?

Not exactly a problem but an annoyance that I haven't found the answer to -
yet. Searching for "Quick Launch toolbar" and variants show a raft of
problems and solutions - none of which addressed this perhaps - non-problem.

Thanks,

Bob S.

Right click the Taskbar | Select Lock the taskbar to unlock it | Left click
an empty area of the Quick Launch area and select View | Select Small icons

View will not appear in the menu if the Taskbar is locked.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eGTbYTcrFHA.1724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Bob <no-spam@abc.com> hunted and pecked:
> Must be having a senior moment but as I recall, in the past I could resize
> the Quick Launch toolbar and add more icons and it would stay that size
> even after rebooting (18 icons - small). Something has changed and I
> can't figure out what but I can add icons and move the separator bar as
> needed so the icons all show but after rebooting, some of the icons are
> hidden. Have to click on the >> symbol to show the extra icons.
>
> Maybe this is normal operation and I've just passed the magic number of
> icons it will show and then it resets itself. I even tried locking the
> toolbar but that had no effect on keeping all the icons showing. Not a
> big deal but is there a registry setting that I perhaps inadvertently
> changed that would do this?
>
> Not exactly a problem but an annoyance that I haven't found the answer to
> - yet. Searching for "Quick Launch toolbar" and variants show a raft of
> problems and solutions - none of which addressed this perhaps -
> non-problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Hi,

Try right clicking an empty area of your taskbar, and then choose "lock the
taskbar", so that there isn't a checkmark box next to that option.

Now go to your Quick Launch toolbar, and you should see some borders on both
sides of the quick launch toolbar.
Move your mouse over these borders and your mouse cursor should change into
handles, now click on the border and re-adjust it to your liking.

Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:42:19 -0400, Bob wrote:

> Must be having a senior moment but as I recall, in the past I could resize
> the Quick Launch toolbar and add more icons and it would stay that size even
> after rebooting (18 icons - small). Something has changed and I can't
> figure out what but I can add icons and move the separator bar as needed so
> the icons all show but after rebooting, some of the icons are hidden. Have
> to click on the >> symbol to show the extra icons.
>
> Maybe this is normal operation and I've just passed the magic number of
> icons it will show and then it resets itself. I even tried locking the
> toolbar but that had no effect on keeping all the icons showing. Not a big
> deal but is there a registry setting that I perhaps inadvertently changed
> that would do this?
>
> Not exactly a problem but an annoyance that I haven't found the answer to -
> yet. Searching for "Quick Launch toolbar" and variants show a raft of
> problems and solutions - none of which addressed this perhaps - non-problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Bob, when resizing the toolbar - make it longer than it needs to be. About
1 1/2 icons worth. When you lock the toolbar shrinks a bit. Making it a
touch larger beforehand, keeps those extra icons in view when you lock the
toolbar again. This works for me. Hope it works for you too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Sharon,

Have done as suggested and it remains the same. It appears that for some
reason, the magic number of icons it will allow to be shown is 10. I fired
up the laptop and loaded the Quick Launch with 16 icons and have rebooted,
etc. and it always comes back showing the full 16 icons. I have checked the
settings for the Start Menu and the taskbars and made them exactly as the
laptop. Annoyance remains for whatever reason.

This is just one of those head scratchers that has a reason buried someplace
in the registry and gives one something to do besides real work. So, I
thank you and the other two posters for your suggestions and the time you
took to respond. Should I find the answer, I'll post back here 'cause I
know the whole world is holding their breath to know what the solution
is........;-)

Thank you all,

Bob S.

Bob wrote:
> Must be having a senior moment but as I recall, in the past I could resize
> the Quick Launch toolbar and add more icons and it would stay that size even
> after rebooting (18 icons - small). Something has changed and I can't
> figure out what but I can add icons and move the separator bar as needed so
> the icons all show but after rebooting, some of the icons are hidden. Have
> to click on the >> symbol to show the extra icons.
>
> Maybe this is normal operation and I've just passed the magic number of
> icons it will show and then it resets itself. I even tried locking the
> toolbar but that had no effect on keeping all the icons showing. Not a big
> deal but is there a registry setting that I perhaps inadvertently changed
> that would do this?
>
> Not exactly a problem but an annoyance that I haven't found the answer to -
> yet. Searching for "Quick Launch toolbar" and variants show a raft of
> problems and solutions - none of which addressed this perhaps - non-problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Try freelaunchbar at http://www.freelaunchbar.com . It won't solve this
problem but allows you to group and/or resize your launch bar icons. I
use it and like it a lot.