Computer Restarting and Shutting Down

TemurAmir

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hi, I built a system about 3 months ago with the following specs:
i5-3570k, gtx 460, Apevia 500W PSU (did not know about quality of these), Apevia X-Trooper Mid-tower, 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 RAM (believe this is actually 1.65V which I heard is dangerous; should I be underclocking this?).

Starting yesterday, I experienced two times where the computer restarted by itself randomly with no BSOD. After the second time, I tried to change the windows settings to allow for a BSOD instead of restart to obtain a error code. However, the computer started to shut down randomly instead of just restarting and no BSOD occurred. After briefly looking into the event log, I found an error 41: Kernel Power log. CPU and Mobo temperatures were all normal when this happened, with CPU usage close to 0%.

I suspect that the problem is caused by the PSU because of it's low brand quality? Is there anyway to confirm this? Also, the power cord connecting to the PSU is stuck to the PSU, which I believe may be an indication that it melted inside the socket although I don't smell anything out of ordinary. Any recommendations for a new PSU that will be able to run my current system?

If the issue just started out of the blue with no real system changes it would make sense that it could be a PSU issue. With it being an Apevia PSU, I'd say your chances are much greater. My buddy had build a few lower end PC's that came with Apevia PSU's in the case and I believe 2 dies within 6 -12 months.

Seasonic is a very good brand as mentioned above. There are others, but the one mentioned is a good price and a modular model. I would start with this and see where you are at. Worst case you have a nice reliable PSU.

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
A PSU is one component in your computer that you should absolutely not skimp out on in regards to quality/price. Spend the cash, get a good one.

Corsair, Seasonic and maybe Antec are a few brands to look at.

And yeah, Apevia is not an acceptable alternative. Poor hardware right there. Sure sounds like a faulty PSU issue here to me.