PSU requirement for my below configuration

yrmahindra

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Dear Experts after some guidance from here i have bought a Desktop with below configuration and iball i9090 cabinet with 250Watts PSU, my question here is will this PSU suffice to my configuratoin or not.

Valuable inputs are highly appreciated so that i can change PSU to higher requirement before i damage my unit.

CPU: i5-3570
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H77M
GPU: GT 610 2GB DDR3
RAM: 8GB Transcand 1333Mhz DDR3

Also planning to upgrade my GPU after checking Rome 2 Total war if i will be able to play with my current Config.

Thanks
Mahindra

Solution
Yeah the only reason I mentioned the GPU being rubbish is that you mentioned games, and also you have ended up with a kind of mismatched PC. If you build a PC for gaming then common sense dictates the most expensive bit is usually the graphics card. Yours is worth maybe 20% of your CPU (depending on prices in India of course).

As for PSU, my concern wouldn't be the wattage. Your CPU is rated at 77W, graphics card at 30W. Add a bit for other components and safety and you are still at <150W. My potential concern would be that essentially, no good PSUs exist that have a wattage that low, they just don't exist on the consumer market. That means that you are dealing with unknowns, which is never a good situation to be in.

yrmahindra

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
its not from any specific person, it's from the replies, comparison charts and many more information available from here that has helped in concluding the configuration.

yrmahindra

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Sorry forgot to mention HDD: Western Digital Caliar Blue 500GB SATA III

Rammy

Honorable
I have no idea who advised you to buy that, but

A) As it is, a 250W PSU might be sufficient, as you are maybe drawing 120W or so.

B) Any entry level PSU these days that's worth using is around 400-500W. You don't need all of that right now, but none of the good manufacturers make low power PSUs unless it's for other applications.
Depending on where you live, and what you want to upgrade to, common suggestions for good/cheap PSUs are the Corsair CX430/500(good) and XFX450/550 (better).

C) The GPU is awful. You might be able to run some older games at lower resolutions, but it's not even close to an "entry" level gaming card. On the plus side, it draws almost no power.

yrmahindra

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
sorry for the confusion but PSU and GPU are not suggested from here but remaining are decided based on the discussions from my earlier posts here..those 2 are based on budget constraints and availability suggestions from vendor..

I live in India & from our point of views spending max 750$ for a desktop is more than enough (Also consider budget aspects as well). i am a 'Total War' game series follower and big fan and i have mostly played only them and their Mods..now with the mentioned configuration i am able to run Shogun 2 Total War on Very High Settings without any lag. I am very sure that the new game in the series which is due to release by October 2013 will require a better GPU i.e. the reason i mentioned that i will be upgrading that.

I hope i have cleared the confusion and able to put forward what i was intending to.

Thanks for the info i will upgrade PSU together with GPU 500W until then will maintain the same.

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah the only reason I mentioned the GPU being rubbish is that you mentioned games, and also you have ended up with a kind of mismatched PC. If you build a PC for gaming then common sense dictates the most expensive bit is usually the graphics card. Yours is worth maybe 20% of your CPU (depending on prices in India of course).

As for PSU, my concern wouldn't be the wattage. Your CPU is rated at 77W, graphics card at 30W. Add a bit for other components and safety and you are still at <150W. My potential concern would be that essentially, no good PSUs exist that have a wattage that low, they just don't exist on the consumer market. That means that you are dealing with unknowns, which is never a good situation to be in.

Solution

Rammy

Honorable

He's already bought it, he's not asking for recommendations