Closed Solved

Graphic card dead?

Hi,

I have 2 ATI 4870x2. I want to know if one of them is dead.
It is not detected on device manager. Also i tried swapping cards and use it as a single card, took out the good one, but it doesnt give me any visuals at all. I cleaned it, also re-seated and made sure 4-6 pins are in place.
The fan is spinning. But that's about it. Anything else I could try?
If you have any kind of suggestions, very welcome to hear them. Thank you.

-Asus P5Q-e motherboard
-1000W
-win7 OS
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphic card dead
  1. Are any of the red diagnostic LEDs on?
  2. non of the LEDs are on.
  3. After the steps you already took i would say it's dead.
  4. Best answer
    Last gasp-Check the edge connector for damage, there is a chance that a poor connection is the problem, but it's very unlikely.
    Otherwise, I'm sorry to say you're down to one card, or off shopping :( .
  5. So i checked for damaged, and it looked fine. Just to make sure, I tried to remove the working card and use the broken card once again. no visuals at all. I thought there was no LED signal but I happened to notice a LED blink. I payed more attention this time and tried to see what pattern there is. Before I trash the card, hopefully this gives some result to keep it.

I compared the LED signal with both cards.
    What is same with both cards is that at startup, the first 3 LEDs blink.
    Also at shut down, both cards show a blink on the 3d LED.
    What is not the same is that when at startup the 3 first LEDs blink, the dead card shows 2 additional blinks on the 3d led right after that.

Any ideas what this could mean? thank you.
  6. Here is an explanation of what the LEDs mean:

R753 – 6 pin PCI-E power unplugged (or not enough power)
    R724 – 8 pin PCI-E power unplugged (or not enough power)
    R819 – Thermal overheating issue
    R323 – GPU1 no power (master GPU)
    R570 – GPU2 no power (slave GPU)

Now, since you have nothing much to loose here, remove the heatsink assembly, but leave the fans attached, plug it in and boot up. After a few seconds CAREFULLY touch the exposed GPU chips- hot or cold?
  7. Nope it was not heat. Also the LED signal didn't repeat after I tried back the card. A lot of false positives and im looking too far in order to safe the card i think. Dead is dead, I removed the card. Bad news, but thanks for the effort.
  8. Sorry to hear that!
  9. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
  10. Best answer selected by cala_01.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Device Manager Graphics Cards Graphics