BF3 at High Setting

ilyas429

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
hi guys i m planing to buy BF3 but i wonder if my PC able to run it on high setting my specifications are below

Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4
Ram: 4GB DDR2
VGA: EVGA GTS 250 512mb ddr3 256 bit..
Playing Resulation 1600x1200

I would wager a guess of somewhere between low and medium you would be able to play BF3 at

The cpu you have is rather low end
gpu is quite old and not very fast for today's games
the amount of ram is hit and miss depending on what else you have running

ilyas429

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

looking forward for new PC in two weeks but as i said i don't know which thing is necessary GPU CPU RAM or VRAM.I was searching BF3 gameplay at youtube there i found a video about BF3 on 9800gt at high setting so i wonder gts 250 is more powerful i guess..that why i am asking here..

ilyas429

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Your not going to get high resolutions out of that system. To be honest there isn't much you would not have to upgrade to hit that at 1600*1200. Low to Med/low is where you are going to be with that system.
I Think resolution is high for high setting isn't it?which resolution i should go for....?

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
If you are playing online, then low settings will probably be needed for your system.

The lack of a quad core cpu and 512mb of vram will significantly hinder your performance once you move up to medium/high settings.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
hurrr hurrr are it joke, man? huurrrr u idiet u ned dem... >g.s/-[kill]zzzz 64gb ram, 2 xeNon cpues, quadro croserfire680... an stuf u godam nub loooloololololool mennn get bock 2 fgt asylum

lmao of course you can don't believe those guys
my gts450 could run it on ultra preset with AA, AO turned off and texture set to high because I only had 1gb vram, and it worked fine... that card is only slightly better than yours. It was also running at 1920x1080, fps 30-60+ so your card at that low res will run it ok. Download a bf3 settings editor and turn off dx deferred cs path it can help you increase fps a litte, also turn off DX11(but I don't think your card even supports it). I imagine it could run medium-high without deferred AA with ease at 1600x1200.
You don't need quad 690 in sli to get decent fps... why everyone keeps saying that... a decent card has some power it's not just a lump of metal that hangs from your motherboard. Can you please stop insulting people if you don't know ***? You shouldn't do it either way but when you start patronizing people around and taking so much pride in your boundless ignorance it's just pathetic, you're a joke. This guy needs some help not some little kiddie laughing at him. He'd visit a school for special kids if he wanted that.

Your GTS 450 DID NOT play Battlefield 3 with those settings at 1920x1080. Just tried it on my GTX 560 Ti. I got anywhere from 50 to 70 fps. GTX 560 Ti is more than twice as powerful as GTS 450:

perfrel_1920.gif

Said that, you would get around 25-30 fps, which IS NOT playable at all. You should aim for 45-60 fps average, not 27.

Furthermore, GTS 450 is around as powerful as GTX 260:
perfrel.gif

And lastly, 1600x1200 is not small resolution. (1920 * 1080) / (1600 * 1200) = 1.08, which means 1920x1080 is only 8% larger resolution than 1600x1200.

In conclusion: no, he will not be able to play BF3 on high settings.

P. S. with AO and AA off, it's not high anymore. AO and AA adds much to graphics. Very much.

ilyas429

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
long time ago there was a feature in nvidia GPU's called turbo cache which allow GPU to use system ram as vram i remember nVIDIA 7300le with 256 vram but it showed 512 mb vram if system ram crossed 1gb...wonder if such utility available now...cuz i am planing to buy new PC not GPU...

roadkill922

Honorable
May 25, 2012
http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

If you compare the gpu hierarchy chart with what the BF3 requirements are, you should be able to run it, BUT BARELY.

You will most likely have to run on all low settings, and even then I do not know if you will get 60 fps or even close.

Both your GPU and CPU will be a bottleneck. If you do try to run the game on this rig, I would recommend not playing on 64 player servers. I would do 32 player max as it will eliminate some of the cpu bottleneck. There is nothing you can really do about the gpu except turn all of the settings down as much as possible.

I would recommend upgrade to a gtx 460 at some point or something similar, and possibly a quad core processor that will work with your board. GPU would be priority though.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

my 450: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3910405

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/300683-15-superclocked-gts250-gts450-performance-benchmarks
250vs450

Yeah man AO... it does add much, if you consider a couple of pipes in metro and the fruit baskets in bazaar getting some extra shadows being worth that fps hit then YEP, adds a lot... and there I was, always shooting my enemies in the head WITHOUT my visual cortex getting orgasmic spasms from the shadows of the... pipes and some little objects around the map that you barely notice while you're stationary let alone when you're moving around the map. Very much.

thanks man, I was living in my own little imaginary world all this time, must've had a schizophrenia-induced day dream it seems, all these days I played BF3 at smooth fps must've been twisted hallucinations that my brain had while I was in alcoholic coma or something, don't even know what was the cause I could suffer from amnesia too! poor me... you know what they say, no one knows what's in your mind except strangers on the internet posting from another continent.

I was playing in 64 player servers getting 30-60 fps and never getting any stuttering, I never had fps like 20... not even in those servers where idiots throw grenades around and spam the grenade launcher smoke everywhere on the map until the game becomes like something out of Silent Hill, a mist everywhere. What do you want me to do, mail my gts450 to you so you can see I'm not joking? or perhaps should I go to a psychiatrist and verify if I have a mental illnesses that causes me to dream of things? I don't know what to do man!

But this is about OP not about me or how your card scores better than my old card that I sold... he will run the game perfectly at medium-high with AA, AO and blur off, AF set to 8x. I can't imagine why my card would be so much better and his a piece of *** that can't handle it on medium...

For some reason I thought the OP had GTX 260 not 250 /facepalm

Anyway, a video of proof would be great, because there's no way I believe that you had smooth fps with those settings. Furthermore, those benchmarks kind of proves my point..