620W PSU Trips breaker

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
I recently purchased this...
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

After doing so, anytime my PC has been off for a long time (or the first time I used it) it tends to trip the breaker for the outlet used. Also, since the first trip, it seems to of really messed up a RAM module since after that day, random programs tend to lock my whole system up when I try to access them.

Solution
i'd suggest your windows installation is corrupt probably as a result of bad psu. get a good psu in there, reinstall windows.

the memory if it was damaged would be behaving differently and you'd be regularly crashing prior to boot
if the hdd was damaged it would also be failing prior to boot
if the cpu/mobo was damaged same story
if the gpu was damaged, it'd start with no image or a corrupted image typically

so assume that everything works and that the software is broken.

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012

I've used multiple ones. The PSU could be faulty. I order it from Newegg. Thing is, ever since the original power failure, I've had multiple programs cause a system crash. Which leads me to believe it may have short out a RAM module.

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012

Yea. The only reason I did it is because I had/have a Raidmax stock PSU that came with the case. I heard keeping stocks around is bad and it's best to replace ASAP. Only to find out this PSU is causing me issues. I'm assuming my RAM did get corrupt via the short out from the PSU?

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
I've already put in for more RAM. The issues is this...

First Steam would crash my PC anytime I started it. Only way to fix it was literally delete every trace of it and reinstall.
Then it happened with Firefox. Then it happened with Thunderbird. All of which had to be hard uninstalled and reinstalled or else opening the program would cause my system to become highly unstable and slowly crash.

i'd suggest your windows installation is corrupt probably as a result of bad psu. get a good psu in there, reinstall windows.

the memory if it was damaged would be behaving differently and you'd be regularly crashing prior to boot
if the hdd was damaged it would also be failing prior to boot
if the cpu/mobo was damaged same story
if the gpu was damaged, it'd start with no image or a corrupted image typically

so assume that everything works and that the software is broken.

Solution

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
So, what 13th said seemed to be right. I did a fresh install about two weeks ago, everything seems to run fine now.

I sent the PSU back to be replaced. Before I select the best answer...

Do you guys really think it was just the case of me getting a faulty PSU or is that PSU just bad in general? Is it possible a PSU won't match with certain MBs?

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Well. I was about to mark someone as answered, only to find out... it was crashing again. But, this time, I noticed something.

During the install, I accidentally installed the OS to the wrong drive. But, I really didn't feel like fixing it, so left it like that.

Well, everything ran smooth for a few weeks until last night. That's when Firefox froze followed by the dreaded "Windows has stopped responding." box. I was like, "Great, I have to do ANOTHER install."

But, that's when I noticed something funny. I could open just about every single program with no problem at all. The only thing I couldn't open were programs on my original boot drive when the crashing first happened. That's why I opened My Computer only to see Windows was no longer showing me statistics for that drive. When I clicked to open, it just ended up running into an endless loop trying to read it.

That's when I decided my drive is dead. Unplugged it last night, so far everything is working just fine.

The thing is, did the PSU kill my drive, or was it just a freak chance it happened to begin failing at the time?

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Well. I was about to mark someone as answered, only to find out... it was crashing again. But, this time, I noticed something.

During the install, I accidentally installed the OS to the wrong drive. But, I really didn't feel like fixing it, so left it like that.

Well, everything ran smooth for a few weeks until last night. That's when Firefox froze followed by the dreaded "Windows has stopped responding." box. I was like, "Great, I have to do ANOTHER install."

But, that's when I noticed something funny. I could open just about every single program with no problem at all. The only thing I couldn't open were programs on my original boot drive when the crashing first happened. That's why I opened My Computer only to see Windows was no longer showing me statistics for that drive. When I clicked to open, it just ended up running into an endless loop trying to read it.

That's when I decided my drive is dead. Unplugged it last night, so far everything is working just fine.

The thing is, did the PSU kill my drive, or was it just a freak chance it happened to begin failing at the time?

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Best answer selected by Jay9.
n
nTurns out it was my main drive dying. Removed it, installed my OS on a different drive, no problems since.
n
n
nAlso, installed my replacement PSU without incident, as well.

Jay9

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012

After going through two PSUs of the same brand and type, I just bought a whole other PSU. No matter what I did, it tripped the breaker. This one so far has been going good for nearly three or so years, knock on wood. (Corsair 750HX)

lukemabey81

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
wow i am surprised that i got a reply that fast i am kind of going through the same thing right now and my breaker is getting tripped i dont know if i am using too much wall power or what i do live in condos so maybe its just cheap stuff