Alright, $2000 Budget, Is this Fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetD

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey (Anyone who actually reads this) My Budget is at $2000 and I'm seeking positive feedback on my build.

I'm having much trouble on what Motherboard i should pick.
Any help?

I do plan on using SLI in the Future.

Specifications:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ B&H)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.15 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.03 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Corsair CH-9000001-NA Wired Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1890.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-25 03:38 EDT-0400)

I have a lot of Questions i might add...

1: The CPU Cooler is good I'm assuming due to its reviews, But What would be the best Cooling method out there? I know i might be answering my own question but it will possibly
be Water Cooling. If so, is Water cooling a hard installation? If it leaks will it damage the components? Overall, what is the best Kit in your opinion?

2: As stated, I'm having trouble picking motherboards! Every time i browse the Forums i find
someone saying that one board is better than another blah blah blah... It confuses me very much that i don't know which one to pick. I do plan on OC'ing at about 4.0-4.4ghz if it helps :/
I just want a solid answer so i can build this thing already.

3: I love the Corsair Graphite 600T. Very slick, But my worries is Aiflow. Does the case have enough airflow for respectable temps?

4: Heard some good and bad reviews on BenQ's, Though 120hz is it necessary enough to
have one with a GTX 670?(MSI Power edition) Example: For surely the 670 is not going to get 120FPS, therefore will it look choppy? I plan on SLI-ing the 670.

- Thanks in advance.
Gonna eat :)!

Solution
The only thing i think you should be aware of is Asrock makes their motherboards a bit cheap for a reason. Also, the screw positions aren't standard atx, they removed all of the screw points on the right of the board.It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. This also makes the right side of the board feel flimsy when putting in cables. But it doesn't hinder anything if you're careful.(Not all Asrock motherboards are like this only some the ones that cost over $200.00 they don't cut corners on always still it's a...

JJ1217

Honorable
To save some money overall, I'd recommend sticking to one vendor if they have the items. Since your playing on 1080p, you might as well stick with nvidia, but if you play above that with any sort of AA, AMD will win. One issue I've noticed is compatibility with the Corsair Vengeance and the DH-14. The problem is sometimes the DH-14 overlays the RAM slots, and since the Vengeance is tall Ram, you can see where I'm going there. Your motherboard is fine, although it really only supports 2 way SLI/crossfire. Everything else seems fine and all dandy to me though.

The only thing i think you should be aware of is Asrock makes their motherboards a bit cheap for a reason. Also, the screw positions aren't standard atx, they removed all of the screw points on the right of the board.It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. This also makes the right side of the board feel flimsy when putting in cables. But it doesn't hinder anything if you're careful.(Not all Asrock motherboards are like this only some the ones that cost over $200.00 they don't cut corners on always still it's a gamble).I personally wouldn't buy one of their motherboards because i expect flawless or at least quality assurance when i buy something but their motherboards are decent and people buy them because the price is cheap and reviews seem good really it's a matter of what you expect and what you consider quality to each their own. The motherboards i would buy if i was in the market for one today and considering your needs and budget would be mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819#top

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_p8-z77v_pro_sandy_bridge_review/1 <--- review w/benchmarks http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-P8Z77-V-PRO- <--- review w/benchmarks http://www.techreaction.net/2012/06/28/review-asus-p8z77-v-pro/ <--- review w/benchmarks

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545#top http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_z77x_ud5h_wifi_review,1.html <--- review of that motherboard w/benchmarks

http://www.techspot.com/review/521-intel-z77-motherboard-roundup/ <--- review w/benchmarks

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2012/05/09/gigabyte-ga-z77x-ud5h-review/1 <--- review w/benchmarks

The best GTX 670 is the Asus 670 TOP IMO my logic and reasoning as to why it's better is because its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans.heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better Chil controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards. It looks aggressive to me and i may be a sucker for that and thinking to highly of it i admit i like it very much lol.But,i have also personally had the pleasure of gaming with the Top and indeed it is a monster and all professional reliable reviews i have read consistently agree the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best of the 670's.TechPoweUp gives the 670 TOP an 10.0 rating, the only 10.0 rating ever
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

Quote :

"Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested.I simply can't find anything wrong with it. ASUS has sucessfully addressed all the shortcomings of NVIDIA's reference design, yet asks only a moderate $20 price premium for their card. This means that you can get faster than GTX 680 performance at $420. And the card manages all that with a dual slot cooler, that just screams "put me in SLI". The only problem is it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere anymore if you can find it i would suggest you get it on the other hand Yeah the MSI PE 670 is awesome MSI Power Edition Architecture Boosts Overclocking Potential by 22.5%
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition graphics card is based on the MSI Power Edition architecture: Afterburner's Triple Overvoltage allows the GPU, Memory and PLL(Aux) voltages to be adjusted. The Enhanced PWM design provides 25% more current than the reference design to ensure high stability during overclocking.

Twin Frozr IV: 20°C Cooler and 11.7dB Quieter than Reference Board
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition is equipped with MSI's latest Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design. MSI's exclusive Dust Removal technology automatically reverses the fans at startup to prevent dust build-up dust and optimize the cooling module's ability to dissipate heat.

Patented Propeller Blade technology provides 20% more air flow over conventional fans and increases the effective cooling area. When combined with dual 8 cm temperature-controlled fans, SuperPipe technology, and a nickel-plated copper base, temperatures are effectively reduced by up to 20°C and noise by 11.7dB!

MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.And with the rebate it also currently makes it the better buy imo so it's a win all the way around.

Solution

JetD

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I like you. A Sweet short n' Informational reply. Thanks bigcyco.

i'm very tired...

I Was originally going to buy a Asrock Motherboard until lots of Bad reviews came upon it.
Glad to see your point bigcyco.
I'll go head and build this machine already with the Asus V-pro, since I'm an "Asus" person.

-Appreciate it Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.