Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2500K high voltage

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2013 6:22:51 AM

Hi there, I thought I would ask for some advice about my 2500K OC.

I'm running the following

MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V (BIOS @ 3606)
CPU: i5 2500K
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master V6GT
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHZ

So I've had this system for a little while now and I recently though about pushing my OC a little more, however I found that my CPU seems to be a little more power hungry than most others.

I'm was running my 24/7 OC at 4.3Ghz but I decided to push it to 4.5Ghz, and I noticed the voltage required to do so seems to jump higher than most other users.
I've read many forums and guides on how to get the most out of my chip and unfortunately it seems like maybe I was just unlucky and got a chip that requires more Vcore than most. I can only get the CPU stable at 1.42V.

Below is a picture to help show why I'm worried about my abnormally high Vcore. Should I be worried? does anyone else have similar issues with higher than avergae voltages.

I run the bios in offset mode with auto voltage.
I use PLL Ultra High and everything else is pretty much auto/default.

Thanks for your time ;) 

More about : 2500k high voltage

a c 79 à CPUs
February 8, 2013 6:34:32 AM

the auto voltage setting will set a higher voltage as it will scale with speed and have no thought on whether the chip needs it. what happens if you set auto -0.005? what voltage do you get then, i'd start at a lower speed first.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 6:55:04 AM

I personally would lower it to 1.35v if possible.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 7:04:48 AM

13thmonkey said:
the auto voltage setting will set a higher voltage as it will scale with speed and have no thought on whether the chip needs it. what happens if you set auto -0.005? what voltage do you get then, i'd start at a lower speed first.

After trying this I was not able to load into windows.

I was getting the BSOD at the windows logo on boot up. This is I believe because of a lack of voltage to the CPU.

m
l
February 8, 2013 7:08:00 AM

bigcyco1 said:

Believe me, If it worked at that voltage I would not be here. I will try using this as a manual voltage and I'll report back shortly.
m
l
February 8, 2013 7:26:02 AM

bigcyco1 said:

After trying this voltage, I was able to load into windows, however the very second I started Prime 95 to test it my PC froze.

So I changed the Voltage to 1.36 and after loading into windows and starting Prime 95 I got BSOD.

Also I do not want to use manual voltage, I do not like my CPU running at a constant voltage even when at idle, hence why I use offset. When the PC sits idle my CPU multiplier goes down and so does my voltage. I want to keep this active, I like it.

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 7:44:45 AM

It looks like you got a dud chip :( 

Those temps are WAY too high. I cringe if my 2500K goes above 60C @ 4.6Ghz.

And the voltage is too high too, unless you are running a powerful cooling system (Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua D14 or Corsair H80 etc). Have you made sure all the other voltages have been tweaked (CPU PLL etc) ? All the settings are correct? (LLC, VRM Freq, Phase Control etc)

Remember:

Low Voltage + Low Temps = Longest life
High Volts + Low Temps = Shorter Life
Low Volts + High Temps = Shorter Life
High Volts and High Temps (this is your chip) = Shortest life
a c 79 à CPUs
February 8, 2013 8:07:58 AM

warhead0 said:
This thread did not much to help my situation, Most of the information I'm already aware of, But I thank you for it anyway.

Sorry man...this is the result of sneakily posting on Toms working in office while your Boss demands an explanation :) . I foolishly did not even see that it was already your thread title...my bad

will post back as I find more time and better info

good luck
-satyam
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:11:19 AM

deadjon said:
It looks like you got a dud chip :( 

Those temps are WAY too high. I cringe if my 2500K goes above 60C @ 4.6Ghz.

And the voltage is too high too, unless you are running a powerful cooling system (Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua D14 or Corsair H80 etc). Have you made sure all the other voltages have been tweaked (CPU PLL etc) ? All the settings are correct? (LLC, VRM Freq, Phase Control etc)

Remember:

Low Voltage + Low Temps = Longest life
High Volts + Low Temps = Shorter Life
Low Volts + High Temps = Shorter Life
High Volts and High Temps (this is your chip) = Shortest life

Temps are fine really, I live in a rather hot environment with no air-conditioning, ambient temps average about 30-40c, hooray for Australian summers :/ .

And yes I have tweaked some of the setting, usually with no luck, I am running LLC at ultra high like I mentioned in the OP.

I'm thinking I'll just lower my OC back down to my 4.3Ghz clock @ 1.38V. For as long as I've had the chip it's been pretty power hungry and I've had trouble running it at the voltages recommend by other users, Auto seems to be the only way I can ever find a stable balance.

I've normally had a limit of 70c for my max CPU temp and never wanted to cross the 1.4v mark, hence why I've never been able to achive a stable 4.5Ghz OC.

i thought I would post here to see if maybe I just got unlucky with my chip, it seems as though I did :(  .
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 8:25:40 AM

warhead0 said:
Temps are fine really, I live in a rather hot environment with no air-conditioning, ambient temps average about 30-40c, hooray for Australian summers :/ .

And yes I have tweaked some of the setting, usually with no luck, I am running LLC at ultra high like I mentioned in the OP.

I'm thinking I'll just lower my OC back down to my 4.3Ghz clock @ 1.38V. For as long as I've had the chip it's been pretty power hungry and I've had trouble running it at the voltages recommend by other users, Auto seems to be the only way I can ever find a stable balance.

I've normally had a limit of 70c for my max CPU temp and never wanted to cross the 1.4v mark, hence why I've never been able to achive a stable 4.5Ghz OC.

i thought I would post here to see if maybe I just got unlucky with my chip, it seems as though I did :(  .

It happens from time to time bro, we all enter in the CPU lottery, some of us win, some of us lose, some of us hit the jackpot.

I was fortunate to win, I got a nice chip, average volts and above average stable clock potential (5.02Ghz for Benching :D )
You unfortunately lost. Maybe next time you upgrade, you'll win the lottery and get a chip that smokes the averages.

Fortunately, the IPC of a 2500k is high enough that 4.3Ghz is going to run every single game released in the near future @60+ FPS when paired with a graphics card also capable of the aforementioned feat of frames. I run mine at 4.6ghz for Epeenz. You will see that most peoples chips that are capable of 4.8Ghz plus will be running them at less than 4.6ghz 'cause they are cautious, they have their max stable clock, they are happy with it and they choose longevity + performance over extreme performance alone.
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:37:42 AM

Best answer selected by warhead0.
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:46:59 AM

Wouldnt worry about most of the sandy bridges hit around 4.3 on stock anything higher usually a bigger voltage is required. I would recomend against auto voltage though. Manual has nothing to do with keeping the voltage the same speedstep does all that. At 4.3 or 4.2 you should have manual voltage set around 1.26v.
m
l
February 8, 2013 8:53:51 AM

Wouldnt worry about most of the sandy bridges hit around 4.3 on stock anything higher usually a bigger voltage is required. I would recomend against auto voltage though. Manual has nothing to do with keeping the voltage the same speedstep does all that. At 4.3 or 4.2 you should have manual voltage set around 1.26v.
m
l
!