Closed Solved

Amd Phenom ii x6 1055t voltage questions

Hello,
I have an AMD phenom ii x6 1055t processor. All voltage/clock settings are stock. The temperature of the cores of the processor is around 52 C at idle and it goes upto 90 C on full load. I downloaded the AMD override app to check all voltage values. Please advice me what to do!

I use the stock cooler. I do not intend to overclock my processor for another year.

Screenshot (Idle): http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s531/compfellows/Idlescreenshot_zps75ff5311.png
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom 1055t voltage questions
  1. Your CPU voltage is one of the few things that looks normal on that list...

3.84v DRAM?!?!?!

Something is very off. I also can't imaging that your AMD CPU made it to 90C with out becoming a blue-smoke generator.

Use CPU-Z and hwmonitor to double check your values. Those voltages just can't be correct.
  2. That looks better, but I still don't like two things:

1) your max vcore of 1.488v seems very high for stock settings.

2) your max package power was >140w

Both of those indicate something is off a little.

I would consider uninstalling amd overdrive (Just to make sure it isn't altering settings post BIOS) and resetting BIOS to factory default.
  3. Well, I had the overheating problem even before i installed amd overdrive. I will restore BIOS to factory settings and test for overheating... I had this problem a few months ago and then i got the processor replaced by AMD. I didn't have the heating problem until a couple weeks ago. Does this have anything to do with me not having a dedicated graphic card? I have an integrated AMD Radeon HD 4250 graphic card...

PS: In power saver mode on windows 8 pro, CPU full load temp is 70 C. In Balanced power setting it goes as high as 90 C...
  4. compfellows said:
    Well, I had the overheating problem even before i installed amd overdrive. I will restore BIOS to factory settings and test for overheating... I had this problem a few months ago and then i got the processor replaced by AMD. I didn't have the heating problem until a couple weeks ago. Does this have anything to do with me not having a dedicated graphic card? I have an integrated AMD Radeon HD 4250 graphic card...

PS: In power saver mode on windows 8 pro, CPU full load temp is 70 C. In Balanced power setting it goes as high as 90 C...

70c wil shorten the lifespan of your chip. 90C will end your chip very soon.

It should have nothing to do with your lack of a graphics card.

I think your BIOS is pumping too much voltage and you may also need to reinstall your heat sink. (Clean off the old thermal paste from both the heat sink and CPU, reinstall a very thin layer of new thermal paste, then reinstall)
  5. Hi :)

I would DEFINITELY REINSTALL the heatsink/fan with NEW paste...

All the best Brett :)
  6. Z1NONLY said:
    70c wil shorten the lifespan of your chip. 90C will end your chip very soon.

It should have nothing to do with your lack of a graphics card.

I think your BIOS is pumping too much voltage and you may also need to reinstall your heat sink. (Clean off the old thermal paste from both the heat sink and CPU, reinstall a very thin layer of new thermal paste, then reinstall)

Alright, will do that! And I don't have a setting in BIOS to change voltage settings... I will update my BIOS to the latest version soon and will check for the option there. So, what are the ideal voltage values for the CPU? For 4x multiplier(200 x 4) it is set to 1.225 V. For 14x multiplier (2.8 GHZ) it goes to 1.375 V. All this is in Power saver mode.
  7. compfellows said:
    Alright, will do that! And I don't have a setting in BIOS to change voltage settings... I will update my BIOS to the latest version soon and will check for the option there. So, what are the ideal voltage values for the CPU? For 4x multiplier(200 x 4) it is set to 1.225 V. For 14x multiplier (2.8 GHZ) it goes to 1.375 V. All this is in Power saver mode.

1.375 is fine but your hwmonitor screen-shot had it peaking at 1.488v

I was stable @3.4Ghz with only 1.344v That was the very lowest I could go though. I would expect 1.375v to get most X6 chips in that neighborhood.
  8. Z1NONLY said:
    1.375 is fine but your hwmonitor screen-shot had it peaking at 1.488v

I was stable @3.4Ghz with only 1.344v That was the very lowest I could go though. I would expect 1.375v to get most X6 chips in that neighborhood.

Alright, now again on full load i peaked at 1.48V. How do i change the voltage settings to limit it to something like 1.3V? I have cool 'n quite mode on but still the voltage levels go high.
  9. What motherboard are you using?
  10. Z1NONLY said:
    What motherboard are you using?

Mobo: Foxconn A88GMV
    BIOS ver 080016 (06-16-2011)
  11. Just downloaded the manual...

CPU voltage is under "CPU voltage control."

However, it doesn't seem to let you reduce the voltage. (only increase)

I would reinstall your heat sink. (Clean off the old thermal paste from both the heat sink and CPU, reinstall a very thin layer of new thermal paste, then reinstall)
  12. Z1NONLY said:
    Just downloaded the manual...

CPU voltage is under "CPU voltage control."

However, it doesn't seem to let you reduce the voltage. (only increase)

I would reinstall your heat sink. (Clean off the old thermal paste from both the heat sink and CPU, reinstall a very thin layer of new thermal paste, then reinstall)

Yeah I saw that in CPU voltage control... Sad...

Anyway, I just removed the heat sink to apply new thermal paste. This just did the trick! There was a lot of dust accumulated in the heat sink, which maybe was hindering the flow of air. Now my temps idle at 30C and go to 59C on full load(Prime 95 stress test). Thanks for the help Z1NONLY!

PS: My BIOS shows DRAM voltage as 1.63V and CPU voltage is 1.325V and in hwmonitor, after i login in windows and turn on power saver mode, shows 1.225V on CPU and 1.5V on RAM. Is the BIOS voltages high? Should I change my motherboard for better performance / stability?
  13. compfellows said:
    Should I change my motherboard for better performance / stability?

Your voltage is high for stock clocks, but it's within what's considered "safe" for that chip.

However, more voltage equals more heat, so if your heat sink fan couldn't keep the temps down at those voltages, you would need to lower the voltage or address the heat sink fan.

Since you were able to bring the temps down by re-seating the heat sink, you should be fine.

I would prefer lower voltages for stock clocks, but I wouldn't spend money on a new mother board in this case. (Now that your temps are good and the voltage is still within the "safe" range.)
  14. Z1NONLY said:
    Your voltage is high for stock clocks, but it's within what's considered "safe" for that chip.

However, more voltage equals more heat, so if your heat sink fan couldn't keep the temps down at those voltages, you would need to lower the voltage or address the heat sink fan.

Since you were able to bring the temps down by re-seating the heat sink, you should be fine.

I would prefer lower voltages for stock clocks, but I wouldn't spend money on a new mother board in this case. (Now that your temps are good and the voltage is still within the "safe" range.)

Oh alright thanks! Say i want to overclock my processor to 3.2 ~ 3.4 Ghz. Which heatsink would you suggest?
  15. Best answer
    Coolermaster 212+ is great for the money.

But your motherboard will automatically increase voltage when you increase clock speed.

If you want to overclock, I recommend a better motherboard. (So that you can keep your voltages down)
  16. Z1NONLY said:
    Coolermaster 212+ is great for the money.

But your motherboard will automatically increase voltage when you increase clock speed.

If you want to overclock, I recommend a better motherboard. (So that you can keep your voltages down)

Alright thanks for all the help Z1NONLY!
  17. Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
  18. This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors AMD Phenom