Sign in with
Your question

Computer randomly turning off is driving me mad

Last response: in Components
February 8, 2013 12:20:13 PM

For the past couple months my computer has been randomly shutting down when I simply surf the web, play games, when I am doing nothing at all, in safe mode and even in BIOS. The computer does not blue screen, it just turns off. Sometimes it restarts itself after a hard shutdown but sometimes I am unable to turn it back on for 5 minutes.

I have run many tests to make sure that is was the PSU.

-My 3750k CPU temperatures are normal at no more than 53c at load
-I tried taking out the video card.
-I am also not overclocking my CPU.
-I have tested my RAM sticks by removing them and my computer still turns itself off.
-I reset my motherboard CMOS to make sure nothing weird was conflicting with my computer
-I even reformatted my computer to make sure it wasn't a driver problem.
-I also made sure all the connections to the motherboard is secure.

So after all of these tests I believe that my problem is the PSU. I bought a Seasonic x750 Gold PSU 5 months ago because I wanted to avoid something like this since I know Seasonic is one of the best out there.

What does everyone think? Should I send the PSU back?

I have:
AS Rock Extreme 4
3570k CPU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
Seasonic x750 Gold PSU
February 8, 2013 1:07:17 PM

yes it sounds like a psu problem your best bet is to rma it and get it replaced due to the problem you have said about random shutdowns and no blue screens.
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:24:40 PM

Hey tempestblayze, like Kenny said this sounds like a PSU problem (Power supply unit) Check all of the cables are plugged in to the PSU aswell as the components. If this does not work you could ever send your PSU back to the company as the'se PSU's usually have some time of warranty on them.

If not you can allways buy a new one, and they are usually quite cheap.
-Rawz
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 1:25:00 PM

Hey tempestblayze, like Kenny said this sounds like a PSU problem (Power supply unit) Check all of the cables are plugged in to the PSU aswell as the components. If this does not work you could ever send your PSU back to the company as the'se PSU's usually have some time of warranty on them.

If not you can allways buy a new one, and they are usually quite cheap.
-Rawz
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2013 1:38:18 PM

You purchased a great PSU - but even with the tightest of quality controls, a lemon makes it out to the public. This is why they have warranties. When you look at PSU failure rates, they will all fail in a period of time, some shorter than others, some longer. Seasonic, Antec and Corsair are among the most reliable.

RMA the PSU...
m
l
!