Sign in with
Your question

New graphics card,blue screen error!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2012 2:01:15 PM

Hello,
i recently bought msi ati radeon R6670 ddr5.I installed the card, started up my computer fine. Installed the drivers on the CD, then after working for 20min or odd i got blue screen.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

i also tried to reinstall os.but still the problem exist.i tried to run my card on win xp and then on win 7 on my desktop but still the problem exists.plz help.

pentium D
motherboard Intel D102GGC2
ddr2 667(2GB)
msi ati radeon R6670 1 gb

August 5, 2012 7:32:04 PM

SAURABH131191 said:
Hello,
i recently bought msi ati radeon R6670 ddr5.I installed the card, started up my computer fine. Installed the drivers on the CD, then after working for 20min or odd i got blue screen.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

i also tried to reinstall os.but still the problem exist.i tried to run my card on win xp and then on win 7 on my desktop but still the problem exists.plz help.

pentium D
motherboard Intel D102GGC2
ddr2 667(2GB)
msi ati radeon R6670 1 gb

Never trust the CDs drivers too much, always download the latest drivers from AMD's website. http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads....

Hopefully that helps let me know if the updated drivers help.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:39:14 PM

That error means your RAM may be faulty. I'd suggest running memory test software. You can download it from www.memtest.org
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:53:04 PM

You forgot to mention the most important thing....what power supply are you using and what video card did you have before?

Did you clean out all your old drivers before installing a new card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 8:04:29 PM

Put the card out boot your system with onboard gpu uninstall the current driver manually from control panel after that use a driver sweeper software you can download it for here: http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-752...

Once you did it insert the card again download the latest driver from AMD site, install it reboot the pc.
Hope it help.
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:18:53 PM

That is one fairly old motherboard, I doubt the PSU that you have connected to it has enough power for your GPU.(probably a 250W PSU) Check your PSU and the rated watts on it, and if its under 300 you probably will need to upgrade it too.
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:25:21 PM

Sunius said:
That error means your RAM may be faulty. I'd suggest running memory test software. You can download it from www.memtest.org

I doubt both machines have bad ram.
Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
IRQL at time of reference.
Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
Address that referenced memory.
Resolving the Problem
For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources . Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

Try ccc 12.4 there was a few 6000 series updates that might help.
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:44:47 PM

tourist said:

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message

Memory referenced.
Resolving the Problem
For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources . Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

+1 Just doesn't add up to be bad RAM because he didn't have problems before the video card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 8:58:40 PM

Yea my bad I didn't read it well enough. I thought it was the same machine, you just reinstalled windows 7 instead of windows xp.

Since the problem is present with both machines, and the only common factor is the graphics card, I guess it is faulty. I'd contact the warranty.
m
l
August 5, 2012 9:04:35 PM

Driver is still my opinion the problem, news parts with old hardware in theory should work fine but drivers are not always the case. I have a ddr3 6670 and 2 ddr3 6570's and never have had this issue win 7 32 and win 7 64
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 9:32:15 PM

Shouldn't be drivers, he tested it on two different machines with two different operating systems!
m
l
August 5, 2012 9:47:40 PM

I bet he used the same cd on both machines
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:24:46 AM

tourist said:
I bet he used the same cd on both machines

Probably did, once he downloads the new drivers from the website it should work fine. For both operating systems.
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:33:00 AM

Sunius said:

i have upgraded my ram to 2gb on the same day on which i bought the graphic card.So the ram is still brand new,that why i don't think thats the problem.
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:56:38 AM

2740963,4,781207 said:
You forgot to mention the most important thing....what power supply are you using and what video card did you have before?

Did you clean out all your old drivers before installing a new card?[/quotemsg

i also upgraded my psu from 400w to 450w.i don't actually know the brand though. ihave also tried teh driver sweeper....
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:04:02 AM

tourist said:

Interpreting the Message

Memory referenced.
Resolving the Problem

the driver cd came with ccc 8.92. on the maufacturers site i.e. of MSI the still have ccc 8.92.Let me try to get ccc 12.4 from amd's site......will let u know if it works.....
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:20:20 AM

even after installing ccc 12.4 the problem is as at is...could it be compatibility or bad graphic card?.....plz guide me. i have bought the card on 1st of august. if the problem cant be solved i could replace the card....

m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 7:31:41 AM

It's bad card. As I said, it's very unlikely even old driver would cause such thing, even on two machines.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:32:21 PM

Its not certain its a bad card, we need to know your power supply. If it was a bad card it likely wouldn't boot at all. Its very possible your power supply is too weak for that video card.
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:16:12 AM

The card works at least 20 min according to his first post.

If you can return the card for something else it might be easier than tracking down the conflict somewhere and it can be hard to find, do you have nero installed ? or some other emulator..External devices printers etc
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:09:42 AM

Like I was saying if it boots up but only lasts for 20 minutes it is likely a power issue, he probably has a PSU under 300 watts with such a low end motherboard. Counting the wasted power, say he has a 250W PSU he will only get about 200W of usable power.

I'm pretty sure that you cant run a CPU+GPU+everything else stable at under 300W.
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:53:07 AM

jase240 said:
Like I was saying if it boots up but only lasts for 20 minutes it is likely a power issue, he probably has a PSU under 300 watts with such a low end motherboard. Counting the wasted power, say he has a 250W PSU he will only get about 200W of usable power.

I'm pretty sure that you cant run a CPU+GPU+everything else stable at under 300W.

He said he put a 450w in the pc

i also upgraded my psu from 400w to 450w.i don't actually know the brand though. ihave also tried teh driver sweeper...

you can run on a 250 p/s but it better be a fair quality 250w
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:06:24 AM

tourist said:
The card works at least 20 min according to his first post.

If you can return the card for something else it might be easier than tracking down the conflict somewhere and it can be hard to find, do you have nero installed ? or some other emulator..External devices printers etc

no...i just formatted my system to see whether it was due to bad os.but still the problem is there
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:48:35 AM

Try Updateing to .network framework 4.0
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:25:52 AM

Do you have anything else plugged into your PCI slots? If so try removing them and just using the GPU.

Try a BIOS Update also if that doesn't work.
m
l
August 9, 2012 3:33:54 PM

i changed the ram cards.......may be it would have been a bad ram....will let u know if it work
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 6:06:13 PM

I'm telling you, it's bad card. You've tried the card in 2 PCs. In both it crashes. It just confirms it..
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:48:14 PM

He did not clarify that it was 2 computers, he said 2 OSes. Don't assume the worse until you have proven everything else wrong.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 9:11:51 PM

jase240 said:
He did not clarify that it was 2 computers, he said 2 OSes. Don't assume the worse until you have proven everything else wrong.

Still, even if it's one machine, it cannot be drivers or software, due to different OS, and he already changed RAM and power supply unit. And BIOS cannot cause such an issue.
m
l
August 9, 2012 9:49:23 PM

Without more information we can only guess, But as i pointed out in my above post

"Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error."

Try the onboard ati xpress graphics, if you do not get the same error then it is the 6670
m
l
August 10, 2012 3:46:57 AM

tourist said:
Without more information we can only guess, But as i pointed out in my above post

Try the onboard ati xpress graphics, if you do not get the same error then it is the 6670

Sadly different cards don't always get the same errors, one set of drivers can work fine with one card while crashing with another.

Did he make sure he disabled the onboard graphics?
m
l
August 10, 2012 4:08:51 AM

jase240 said:

Did he make sure he disabled the onboard graphics?

good question ?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 9:34:10 AM

Come on, not disabling integrated graphics will not cause BSODs. You're shooting in the dark. Think with your head.
m
l
August 10, 2012 4:21:11 PM

And that is basically what you are doing also, If the on board graphics is set to auto there is a chance it could be effecting the discrete card by reserving a memory address that the discrete would normally use.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 4:26:47 PM

Now you've done it: you've said a total nonsense. Discrete graphics cards have their own memory address space.
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:07:19 PM

Actually while they do not use the same memory, if the intergrated GPU is enabled it reserves some RAM for "shared memory", Which for sure can be causing issues in windows. Even if the "shared memory" cannot effect the new GPU at all, the driver would still know its there, and it could cause problems. (the driver might assume it can use the shared memory as well as dedicated)

As far in as he is with this, it might be best just to try a new GPU now and see if it works. If a new GPU would BSoD also then its likely something is setup wrong on his board. Checking to see if the IGP is enabled or disabled is a step in the right direction, like I said it can cause conflicts badly. Maybe not exactly the way I explained it, but you know how easy it is for windows and drivers to get confused when they see two of something.

Another thing this may be obvious but, did you plug in your monitor to the new GPU? If you didn't and its still plugged into the normal spot then the IGP IS enabled and being used.
m
l
!