Sign in with
Your question

Next gen consoles

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2012 2:06:53 PM

The next gen consoles which will be released for the holidays in 2013 will force me to spend $ on the rig.

I use a GTX 260 which is fine for my old screen and up to a HDTV display.

4K displays are likely to be on the market soon and that will drag down frame rates big time. :( 

At the moment the rig has a single slot for a graphics card, I guess I could get a better board.

New consoles might have 8 GB of memory, the PC today is 16 GB for most gaming rigs so RAM is not a big concern.

VRAM is slowly rising but supporting a 4K display will require maybe a 4 GB card to have adequate space for textures etc.

by the time the new consoles surface, NVIDIA and AMD will likely be offering a new model of GPU.

the cost of a console will be constrained somewhat, but I am looking at the load for 4K to give guidance looking forward

More about : gen consoles

a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:14:31 PM

There's no way to compare performance between the two until the consoles are released, but I can promise the consoles can't compare to the current computer hardware
August 5, 2012 2:17:28 PM

I agree, but that 4K display seems to be the biggest problem. These new retinal displays will put pressure on my GPU and I am wondering how much GPU will I need to play Doom 4 at 60+ fps.
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:19:16 PM

I would not worry about it yet, 4k screens are not here yet and won't be here for at least a year. And trust me, new consoles will not support 4k resolution :D 
August 5, 2012 2:21:03 PM

I like to have a clear radar so I can estimate now much $ I need to scrape up.

Most recently was a better PSU to support a possible SLI solution to drive a better screen.
August 5, 2012 2:23:14 PM

I actually still play Halo 2 a lot, the servers are still up so its fun to play slayer for a round or 3. Sure been disappointing that no new PC disks were released.

Yesterday I reset Alien v Predator (2010) and have been playing the marines. That game is more demanding than Halo 2.

a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:24:39 PM

For the past ten years, $2000 in computer hardware allowed the best gaming settings, that will never change - the price is a constant while the hardware increases in speed, and the sliding scale is relative at other costs
August 5, 2012 3:10:33 PM

When new my GTX 260 cost $449, now its $50 on ebay

a better GPU is not all that expensive relative to what I have now

the most demanding game I have is Metro 2033, and that is hard on even the top video cards.

Being underemployed means less $ for rig upgrades so I am thinking that a GTX 460 or GTX 480 might be a suitable improvement over what I have now, they are cheap on ebay now that they are 2 gens back

!