Other computer will not recognize network security key

SOLOENT

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I have set up my desktop (has wireless) running Vista, which uses a broadband usb modem, AD HOC all was ok. Then set up the wireless laptop running xp, It reconizes the Desktop but wants a network security key(password). I tried useing the "password" that I used to set up the desktop with but the Laptop will not accept it. Says the network xxxxxxx requires a network key(aso called a WEP key or Wpa key)....... Type in the key, and then click Connect. ??
Thanks for your help in advance

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Connect your router to the computer with the cable that came with the router then go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7 - then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1.

Type exit to close the black form.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password.

If you're in, seek out Wireless and then Security and take a note of the key. Sometimes it may be a passphrase, some a simple set of letters and others a hexadecimal code. You also may as well note which level of security it is - WEP, WPA or WPA/PSK 2 and then either AES or TKIP. Your computer will already know this but it's handy information to store. Note also that hexadecimal only contains numbers from zero to 9 and letters a to f so there's no confusion of I and O with 1 and 0.

It's best to keep a note of that security key in your Documents folder and also outside the computer.

SOLOENT

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for your post, however NO router both have wireless. On the Desktop running Vista it has a moble broadband usb. Ran Ad Hoc set up was easy.

I was able to obtain the numeric Gateway numbers from the laptop Running XP and got them connected. But, could not access the remote laptop to the internet.

Then I rebooted both. The desktop is saying waiting for user to connect (with a strong siginal). I connected with the laptop and it says currently connected to the network. Now checking the Desktop again after that it says: The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.

What now, any ideas?

In that Vista system, open IE go to the Tools menu then click the Connections tab and the LAN button. Remove any ticks from the Proxy boxes and tick "Automatically Detect Settings" then click Apply and OK. Restart the system and see if that helped.

If that doesn't help, press teh Windows key and R together and into the Open box, type

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press enter. Right click anywhere in the black for and press Enter. That clipboards the entire contents of the form so paste it in a Tom's reply form and post them back here.