Clearing partition

I have a partition "e: " on my hard disk and would like to eliminate it so
I only have the "c: " drive left. How can I do this?
4 answers Last reply
More about clearing partition

    You will need a 3rd party partitioning tool, such as BootIt Next Generation, www.bootitng.com, or Partition Magic, www.powerquest.com. A free alternative, which I haven't tried is Ranish Partition Manager, http://www.ranish.com/part/

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    In news:36480831-AD5C-4CD6-B0B9-1705B78ACCBF@microsoft.com,
    kuddech <kuddech@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a partition "e: " on my hard disk and would like to
    > eliminate
    > it so I only have the "c: " drive left. How can I do this?

    First a couple of points on the terminology:

    1. You don't have *a* partition, you have *two* partitions: C:
    and E:.

    2. You don't want (presumably) to "eliminate" E:. If you
    literally did that, you would end up with the space it used to
    take being unallocated and useless to you. What I assume you want
    to do is combine the two partition as a single C: partition,
    using all the space on the drive.

    I mention the above points, not to give you a hard time, but
    because if you don't understand them, you are at risk of choosing
    the wrong options when you try to do this.

    Now, as to how: Unfortunately, no version of Windows or DOS has
    ever had the ability to change the partition structure of a drive
    without losing all the data on it. To do so requires the use of a
    third-party program. Partition Magic is the best-known such
    program, but there are shareware/freeware alternatives. One
    shareware product that gets good reports from several MVPs
    (although I haven't used it personally) is Bootit Next
    Generation.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I will buy the partician magic software in a local store. Thanks for the advise
    kuddech

    In news:0835A845-E249-4517-9EA1-75DC26F61EBC@microsoft.com,
    kuddech <kuddech@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I will buy the partician magic software in a local store.
    > Thanks for
    > the advise kuddech

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Let me add one more piece of advice: make sure you have a good
    backup of anything you can't afford to lose before beginng. A
    problem using it isn't terribly likely, but it's not impossible
    either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:36480831-AD5C-4CD6-B0B9-1705B78ACCBF@microsoft.com,
    >> kuddech <kuddech@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I have a partition "e: " on my hard disk and would like to
    >>> eliminate
    >>> it so I only have the "c: " drive left. How can I do this?
    >>

    >> First a couple of points on the terminology:
    >>
    >> 1. You don't have *a* partition, you have *two* partitions: C:
    >> and E:.
    >>
    >> 2. You don't want (presumably) to "eliminate" E:. If you
    >> literally did that, you would end up with the space it used to
    >> take being unallocated and useless to you. What I assume you
    >> want
    >> to do is combine the two partition as a single C: partition,
    >> using all the space on the drive.
    >>
    >> I mention the above points, not to give you a hard time, but
    >> because if you don't understand them, you are at risk of
    >> choosing
    >> the wrong options when you try to do this.
    >>
    >> Now, as to how: Unfortunately, no version of Windows or DOS
    >> has
    >> ever had the ability to change the partition structure of a
    >> drive
    >> without losing all the data on it. To do so requires the use
    >> of a
    >> third-party program. Partition Magic is the best-known such
    >> program, but there are shareware/freeware alternatives. One
    >> shareware product that gets good reports from several MVPs
    >> (although I haven't used it personally) is Bootit Next
    >> Generation.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Partition Microsoft Customization Hard Drives Windows XP