How will a GTX 460 work with my system?

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
that cpu will definitely bottleneck the gtx460. You may try overclocking that cpu around 3.4ghz or get a new intel system with an i5 2450/ 2500/ 2500k or something heck even an i3 2120 should work fine with that gpu.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

How about core unlocking

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

How can it kill the CPU? My bad overclocking skills will kill it rather than the core unlocking lol But i'll take the risk of core unlocking since i need a new CPU anyway.
And i've never heard anyone had their CPU die of core unlocking :p

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

That one depends on the motherboard and in which condition isthe 4th core. If its badly damaged like yours then maybe. On the moherboard part its that it can't restore the settings to default. Though i never had any isues like that. When i first time overclocked i set the bad voltage and after applying the settings it restarted a couple of times and asked to press F2 to restore settings to default or delete to go into the BIOS menu and fix it manualy. You know if a 40$ motherboard has this then i'm sure your rich guy's motherboard has it hehehe

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Depending on your resolution and game, that CPU will not bottleneck that gfx card.

If you're running at fullHD on metro 2033, yes, but if you're running starcraft at 1280x1024 then hell no.

I would attempt an unlock, I have a 960t (6x core, locked to a 4x core) and I successfully unlocked all 6 cores and now running at 4ghz! So well worth it, you won't know if you don't try!

What is your motherboard?

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Mine is an ASUS board idk the model, need to check out system info... Anyways it has ASUS core unlock feature but i'm saving for a new motherboard. A gigabyte GA 970A UD3. PSU is an antec HCG 620W. And i just put in the athlon II 445 and i successfully unlocked the 4th core and i locked it and now i'm gonna try unlocking the phenom but i can't see the difference in speed between the phenom II X3 and athlon II X3

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
You won't, most applications aren't too receptive to anything over 2 cores at 2-3ghz, you will notice it when you press your system, like gaming, or video editing.

I have a GA 970a d3, LOVE IT. it unlocked and overclocked like a dream, as I said 960 - 6x cores @ 4ghz (got as high as 4.2) noo worries. Full voltage control, and dual bios means even if you sooo bad as to root your bios, you've got the backup. Great for OC'ing to extremes.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Well your board doesn't have any cooling on the VRM's so i would be carefull if i was you. the GA 970A UD3 is the same as the D3 but it has cooling on the VRM's

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Yip, unfortunately can only pull 2.4ghz on the NB i daresay cause of that. I have a hyper 212 evo, with a 10cm case fan, and 10cm psu fan all in optimal position to cool the VRM's. debating rangi'ing up some heatfinks to put on them loosely, but at this stage, if my CPU's very comfortable at 4ghz, I'm happy.

I wish they had the ud3, but they didn't sadly. I do like the other features, like the usb 3.0, (as I said) dual bios and easy unlock features the 970 affords.

verbalizer

Distinguished
not a fan of the 970 chipset, only one motherboard with the 970 chippy runs x8/x8 all others are x16/x4.
SLi minimum requirements are x8/x8, only CF-X allows for x16/x4.
so by that fact alone I went with the 990XA and then 990FX chipset.
990FX = x16/x16 and that's a win.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I do heartily agree, but with CF issues, I would rather buy a new card and on sell/give away my old one! Hardly a day goes past where I don't see on the forums here, "Help, CF slower than single card!" or some similar title.. So for a budget, the 970 with usb 3 etc is good, but not great.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I don't really care about crossfire or SLI because i'm never gonna do it in a few reasons. Dual gpu setups sometimes cause problems in games and its expensive and i don't eve like how it looks.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Hehe. See i don't have any sort of case fans, i'm so poor i have to save every penny for the new motherboard, no money for aftermarket coolers or case fans. btw when idle my CPU cooler sounds like a hair dryer but the temps are ok, 28 degrees but the noise it makes is annoying, when gaming... uhm it probably sounds like an electric drill :lol:

verbalizer

Distinguished

your personal opinion...

I never have had a problem with dual card set-up.
anyways the comment wasn't about that, it was about the weaker 970 chipset.
things are only as expensive in ratio wise to your available funds.
and depending on model GPU's it looks cool.

:p

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Yeah well, i've read a lot of stuff about people have problems with lag in games due to SLI or CF. I'm not gonna risk it since i always have the worst of luck its probably gonna show me a BSOD when i atempt SLI or CF. Btw its already logical that the 990 chipset is better than the 970 but i'm not that crazy to spend more than 100$ on a board since i won't OC, just try to unlock the 4th core nothing else. But i can't see why some of you recommend a high end board to those who won't OC or any of tat stuff.

verbalizer

Distinguished

what you hear and what I see is two different things, with enough CPU strength you won't have issues with dual set-ups.
have you heard or read that.? didn't think so..
your lack of confidence is on you, don't take it out trying to go back and forth with me..
and I wasn't referring you to get a 990 chippy, you took it the wrong way.
i only stated the obvious and why I like the 990 chippy better.

and now since you took things the wrong way you try to make me feel bad because I have deeper pockets and better units.
sorry bro not happening.

Phenom II X3 720 is 2.8GHz and not 2.6GHz BTW..

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

My mistake on the SLI, sorry. I don't usually read stuff that have anything to do with SLI or CF because i don't care about something i don't like. And i haven't said that you recommended "ME" a 990 chipset. I meant that some of you guys (not refering to you so don't say i was talking about you) recommend high end boards for users that don't want to overclock or have dual or more GPU setups. Don't they take into account that some people can't afford that stuff or some of them (like me) don't want to buy boards with features they don't need. I think you're that guy who said the MSI 870S C45 FX is bad xD Well technically it is bad if you're an overclocker :p Well i don't mind people having deep pockets if they know how to use them like not spending money on useless stuff or if they don't show how rude they are when someone who doesn't have money buys for example a GTX 460 mid range and they come and say that its outdated and that they should upgrade to GTX 580.

verbalizer

Distinguished

then you have some settings in your BIOS that do not need to be.

TRENDING THREADS