Sign in with
Your question

What's the Best GTX 670? (EVGA FTW vs ASUS DCII TOP vs Other)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2012 3:42:32 PM

Hello, I have been looking into finalizing my new first build and have decided on getting a GTX 670 to compliment my i5 3570k.

The question I have is which GTX 670 is the best of them all. I have done a lot of research, including forum posts and benchmarks, but I can't find one that gives a straight answer.

I thought I narrowed it down to the EVGA FTW and ASUS DCII Top, but I heard that each of them have stability issues, and since this is my first build, I want the fastest and most reliable, I can get without overclocking myself because I don't feel comfortable with messing around with volts and clocks just yet. I do consider overclocking in the future though, so a card with that potential down the line would be very helpful.

I plan on using this build for mainly gaming, recording and editing for youtube, and my school work. I also wish to play all modern games at high-max settings with preferably, 60+ FPS. My main games are Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend, and GTA IV; and GTA V if it comes on PC (Hopefully with a good port!!).

Another preference I have is the ability to easily SLI as well as a card with a good warranty/reliable company in case something goes wrong.

I plan on using two monitors (one 1600x900 and the other 1920x1080) for editing/multitasking eventually, too.

Anyway, I am having the hardest time choosing the best GTX 670 and any advice, help or info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 4:04:01 PM

They are both great models maybe the Asus direct cu II top one has slight edge. But unfortunately, that model has been out of stock for a while now so you might have to go for the EVGA one. I have seen people having issues with both of those models I guess a number of the gpus are duds so it all depends on your luck. My gtx 670 direct cu II Top runs like a champ with no issues whatsoever but I have seen people with faulty ones. Get the Asus one if you can find it otherwise get the EVGA ftw. I always liked EVGA for their great customer support.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 5:26:17 PM

shamsmu said:
They are both great models maybe the Asus direct cu II top one has slight edge. But unfortunately, that model has been out of stock for a while now so you might have to go for the EVGA one. I have seen people having issues with both of those models I guess a number of the gpus are duds so it all depends on your luck. My gtx 670 direct cu II Top runs like a champ with no issues whatsoever but I have seen people with faulty ones. Get the Asus one if you can find it otherwise get the EVGA ftw. I always liked EVGA for their great customer support.

Thanks for the response, and would you say that new drivers have stabilized the DCII Top and have declined the fault issue? Most threads I've read about instability came from mid-July and back, but I haven't seen any big problem threads since.

Also, how is Asus' warranty, customer service, and RMA service in case something goes wrong? Like, did you get a lot of coverage when you bought this version of GTX 670?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 5:41:15 PM

EVGA has the best customer service..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 5:51:52 PM

verbalizer said:
EVGA has the best customer service..

+1

EVGA has spoiled me. Painless RMA's for me, if you invest in EAR (EVGA Advanced RMA) you're possible down time is greatly reduced thanks to it's cross-shipping.

I too notice a trend with the 6xx series, there seems to be a disturbing amount of faulty cards, it's like a better odds version of the lottery, like older cards were with overclocking, now it's just whether your card is reliable or not.

Though the Gigabyte 670 is an awesome card as well, they OC relatively well, cost less and RMA is probably about the same as Asus.

You don't mention your case in your post, the Gigabyte is 11.4" long and the top and non top Asus cards are 10.7, while the FTW is and even 10.0"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:32:16 PM

datguy88 said:
Thanks for the response, and would you say that new drivers have stabilized the DCII Top and have declined the fault issue? Most threads I've read about instability came from mid-July and back, but I haven't seen any big problem threads since.

Also, how is Asus' warranty, customer service, and RMA service in case something goes wrong? Like, did you get a lot of coverage when you bought this version of GTX 670?

yes with the release of Asus gpu tweak 2.1.7, all the previous red screen issues have been resolved like a few months ago. I gotta say, I am happy with Asus's return policy thus far, I got my refunds for a gpu/ replacement for motherboards in 2 weeks. They will give you a refund/ replacement without any questions if the product is faulty.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 8:11:28 PM

seems like good arguments for both camps....
tough call.

which one is cheaper.?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 8:12:26 PM

670 have a lot of problems from what i see on the forums, I would get an EVGA just in case
m
l
August 5, 2012 9:18:12 PM

verbalizer said:
seems like good arguments for both camps....
tough call.

which one is cheaper.?

The EVGA FTW is $408, the Asus DCII TOP is $430, and the MSI Twin Frozr IV is also $430.

For my graphics card though, this is all within my budget, so if a better card is the most expensive, I am okay with it.

Also, I plan on using ICEnhancer for GTA IV, so how would the 2GB or vram fare with such a mod, since I've heard the Skyrim ICEnhancer takes up 3GB of vram? I only plan on going up to 1920x1080 for resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 9:49:12 PM

if I had my choice between the three....
MSi in this model all day long.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 9:57:47 PM

I would get the FTW, it has pretty good clocks already and it has the 680 PCB and cooler. Plus, it's blower type which I personally prefer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 9:59:16 PM

Ironslice said:
I would get the FTW, it has pretty good clocks already and it has the 680 PCB and cooler. Plus, it's blower type which I personally prefer.

very true.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 2:14:35 AM

I'm a fan of Asus gtx 670 direct cu Top cause of its automatic boost function. The card continues to overclock itself higher as long as the temp stays below 72. During intense gameplay and benchmarks, mine goes up to 1313mhz(Even though I have set the max boost clock to 1167mhz). It usually gets higher score than even a highly overclocked gtx680 in most benchmarks.
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:39:12 AM

Bro, Get the Gigabyte Windforce 3X 670 OC
Its $399. The cheapest out of all the others suggested in this thread. With good RMA.

And as far as the EVGA FTW 670 is concerened... Does the 680 PCB and cooler have any real world effect? It doesn't do much does it? Besides demanding a $30 premium at no real performance upgrade compared to most 670s.

The Gigabyte 670 is better than the EVGA FTW 670, Value-wise and performance-wise, period.
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:40:30 PM

Would anyone be able to tell me if the 2gb of vram would effect if I could play mods like icenhancer at 1080, because I have heard people say that Skyrim's icenhancer takes up 3gb of vram. At that resolution, would I need the extra 2gb?

This decision is getting really hard as I have found the ASUS DC2T to be available, but the EVGA FTW is only $408 at Newegg. Also, I don't know much about MSi and Gigabyte, but those cards look good, too. Uggh, this is so hard!
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:46:12 AM

As you can see in my configuration in rig 1 I am running 2 EVGA GTX 670 FTWs in SLI. Incredible cards. I'm not going to knock the other brands. However, a number of posters make comments about certain cards without using them. The FTW comes overclocked from a base of @925 to 1006 and the 680 PCB that it is built on has the stock cooler for the 680, not the 670. Finally the FTW exhaust out the rear to keep the case cooler. I run 3 24" monitors in surround at a combined resolution of 5760 x 1080 and I have no vram problems including BF3, which, by the way, runs VERY well with 2 670s in SLI.

BTW, what are your computer specs?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2012 9:59:21 PM

rockstar_7 said:
Its $399. The cheapest out of all the others suggested in this thread. With good RMA.

And as far as the EVGA FTW 670 is concerened... Does the 680 PCB and cooler have any real world effect? It doesn't do much does it? Besides demanding a $30 premium at no real performance upgrade compared to most 670s.

The Gigabyte 670 is better than the EVGA FTW 670, Value-wise and performance-wise, period.

On Newegg the FTW is $9 more than the cheapest 670's, But I guess it could be considered $30 more if you decide to purchase EAR though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2012 9:59:42 PM

rockstar_7 said:

:non: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 4:33:49 AM

rockstar_7 said:
Well, the following review doesnt have the EVGA FTW 670, but it does have the Asus and Gigabyte 670.
Take a look..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

Gigabyte Windforce 3X 670 'Recommended Buy'

Gigabyte Windforce 3X 670 was given 'Recommended Buy' because Gigabyte was offering it for the price of a reference gtx 670.
However, that doesn't change the fact that the gigabyte 3x gtx670 would never beat an Asus direct cu II top one no matter how high it overclocks. Not to mention in the benchmark, Asus only scored around 9000 in 3dmark11 whilst mine scored 10000+ out of box..maybe its got something to do with the rest of the system but still.
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:20:59 PM

Alright, I think I am right back between the ASUS DCII Top and the EVGA FTW. I am leaning towards the EVGA though because this is my first build and customer service is very important to me.

Also, I have heard that I can replace the fan on the front without voiding the warranty, so if that's all that separates the EVGA from the ASUS, besides a few higher clocks, I think this is the way to go.

Can anyone tell me if this a rational way to look at this please?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:40:04 AM

I think it's perfectly rational....I mean changing coolers adds some extra cost to the investment, but the possible CS/RMA headaches avoided by going with EVGA vs Asus ought to be worth it IMHO.
m
l
August 18, 2012 2:59:09 PM

Well, I have ironed out that I won't be getting the ASUS, after being sold out for 3 weeks and with the release of the 660ti, I don't think it is coming back very soon.

Anyway, that leads me to a choice between the MSi Twin Frozr4 and the EVGA FTW, so could anyone please tell me which would be the better option. I am leaning towards the EVGA FTW as it is atleast $20 cheaper, but if it is the lesser option, I would be willing to change.

Also, could anyone please tell me if MSi afterburner can be used on all 670s or just MSi, because i have heard nothing but good things about it, thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 7:47:02 AM

It can be used on just about any modern GPU, AMD or Nvidia. I currently use EVGA's Precision, which works on all modern Nvidia GPUs
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:42:35 AM

I would choose Gigabyte windforce.It has an awesome cooler with an awesome design also.You should take it
m
l
September 26, 2012 11:34:18 PM

If your looking mainly for reliability, don't listen to the others, get The FTW. Other vendors don't have great customer service like evga. There is one other option. Higabyte. Same price as a reference but alot better. Again. If your mainly looking for reliability, evga.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 6:57:51 AM

If you can find a 670 TOP, go for it. Its out of stock in every single computer shop in my country, was really interested in it. Its one of those cards where $30 more for the OC version is actually worth it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:37:22 PM

SpaceMilk said:
If your looking mainly for reliability, don't listen to the others, get The FTW. Other vendors don't have great customer service like evga. There is one other option. Gigabyte. Same price as a reference but alot better. Again. If your mainly looking for reliability, evga.

I can agree with this, I just wish they had better cooling options out of the box. It's the only reason I'm hating my choice of switching over to AMD(aside from slow driver releases for newer games) EVGA is not an option, XFX ≠ EVGA.
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:20:56 AM

bellow
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:32:06 AM

The best overclocker out there is the Galaxy GTX 670 GC hands down.

Here is the review from guru3d.com:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/kfa2_geforce_gtx_6...

KFA2 and Galaxy are the same brand.

They make the 2GB and 4GB versions but if you get the 2GB you should be fine.

The Heatsink design is the best outhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The price for the 2GB one is $419.99 and they have a $20 mail in rebate.
m
l
!